Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Toading my F350 4X4 (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11919)

Elkherds 11-21-2011 07:22 PM

Toading my F350 4X4

I am looking to set up my truck to flat tow. It is a 2004 4X4 and according to Ford and people I have spoken to it can be done. It is a 4 door longbed so it is 22'. It will just meet the 65' length law in Texas, but has anyone pulled a truck this big? Since it would be the first flat towed vehicle I have ever pulled I have some concerns. It seems alot of people pull much smaller vehicles but since I already have this truck and would prefer not to buy another vehicle. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I am still trying to decide on the tow bar and braking system as well.

Bruce 11-21-2011 07:40 PM

There are very few Ford PU's that are towable as is. The base models sometimes have a non electronic Transfer case. All the others have the Electronic version and it has no neutral position. Not towable without a driveshaft disconnect. Did you check the owner's manual? Is your transfer case electronic? Does it have a neutral position? As for towing the truck: I have seen crew cab duallies being towed. You will lose MPG and some power in the hills. I would scale the truck. Probably weighs 8000 lbs. or more. My Silverado 1/2 ton weighs 6200.

jerrymcd 11-21-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elkherds (Post 136854)
I am looking to set up my truck to flat tow. It is a 2004 4X4 and according to Ford and people I have spoken to it can be done. It is a 4 door longbed so it is 22'. It will just meet the 65' length law in Texas, but has anyone pulled a truck this big? Since it would be the first flat towed vehicle I have ever pulled I have some concerns. It seems alot of people pull much smaller vehicles but since I already have this truck and would prefer not to buy another vehicle. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I am still trying to decide on the tow bar and braking system as well.

As long as the truck has a manual transfer case and manual front hubs you can tow it four down. I had a 2002 f 350 that I towed several thousand miles never a problem. I now have a 2011 f250 that I now tow.

Elkherds 11-21-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce (Post 136858)
There are very few Ford PU's that are towable as is. The base models sometimes have a non electronic Transfer case. All the others have the Electronic version and it has no neutral position. Not towable without a driveshaft disconnect. Did you check the owner's manual? Is your transfer case electronic? Does it have a neutral position? As for towing the truck: I have seen crew cab duallies being towed. You will lose MPG and some power in the hills. I would scale the truck. Probably weighs 8000 lbs. or more. My Silverado 1/2 ton weighs 6200.

It has a manual transfer case and hubs. The owners manual specifies that electronic 4X4 are not towable but that mine is. Would not mind scaling back but the truck I have is paid for. Also my wife is not sure she is into RV'ing yet so I don't want to get in to deep just yet.:confused:

Elkherds 11-21-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrymcd (Post 136859)
As long as the truck has a manual transfer case and manual front hubs you can tow it four down. I had a 2002 f 350 that I towed several thousand miles never a problem. I now have a 2011 f250 that I now tow.

Which tow bar and braking system are you using on your truck?

Rick 11-21-2011 09:05 PM

David, Take a look at this chart. There are three states that do not accept the towing laws of your home state. I think they are Colorado, Delaware and Georgia.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

jerrymcd 11-21-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elkherds (Post 136868)
Which tow bar and braking system are you using on your truck?

I have a Road master tow bar rated at 8000lbs. I have a fisher snow plow on the truck, so I rigged the bracket for the tow bar to attach to where the plow attach├ęs to the truck. the tow bar aligns up level in that position. If you go with road master brackets they attach where your tow rings are and the tow bar in way out of level.
I shouldn't admit to this but I have never used a braking system. I keep thinking I should get one but (knock on wood) no close calls YET.

tmabbott12 11-21-2011 09:14 PM

David, see if this will help your decision http://www.remcotowing.com/

fxdwg 11-21-2011 10:08 PM

I saw one in Albuquerque last year behind an SOB. He said it towed just fine. I'm considering one for my next toad.

You DEFINITELY want a braking system.

john wheeler 11-21-2011 10:18 PM

Rick, great link printed it out to add to the bus folder.

thank you John