Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   M450 (Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Smart Voltage Regulator problems (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23181)

Doubledoc 07-21-2015 01:54 PM

Smart Voltage Regulator problems

We had a second failure of our smart voltage regulator while on recent trip. The voltage shot up to 31-32 Volts on the 24 v dc side and half that on the 12 V side as it had done before. The failed regulator lasted about 2 yrs. I believe that the location of the regulator behind the wall in the rear closet, may be the problem. During the summer heat the location may exceed the 145 degree F max limit for the Balmar MC-624 LN unit. This unit is no longer in production and replacements are limited.
Balmar makes a MC-624 regulator which seems to do the same function but with different connectors, so some modification may be required.
I am thinking about moving the regulator to inside the closet to reduce ambient temperature.
Thoughts?

mynavion 07-21-2015 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubledoc (Post 304945)
We had a second failure of our smart voltage regulator while on recent trip. The voltage shot up to 31-32 Volts on the 24 v dc side and half that on the 12 V side as it had done before. The failed regulator lasted about 2 yrs. I believe that the location of the regulator behind the wall in the rear closet, may be the problem. During the summer heat the location may exceed the 145 degree F max limit for the Balmar MC-624 LN unit. This unit is no longer in production and replacements are limited.
Balmar makes a MC-624 regulator which seems to do the same function but with different connectors, so some modification may be required.
I am thinking about moving the regulator to inside the closet to reduce ambient temperature.
Thoughts?

I would absolutely move it and perhaps even add a small (computer fan?) fan that is thermostat controlled. I'm with you, it sounds like the extreme temps are greatly shortening its life.....

lucaswillemse 07-21-2015 03:00 PM

Smart Voltage regulator

While I did electrical repair on boats one of the companies I used a lot was Ample Power. They make a Next Step Regulator $299.00 that can be used on either 12 or 24 volt systems. Their website is https://amplepower.com

Randy Dupree 07-21-2015 03:04 PM

Good company,good products.
Ample Power is owned by a couple that lives aboard a boat,they live the life that requires good products.

Doubledoc 08-13-2015 02:32 PM

More on Regulator failure

I found that the compartment behind the rear bedroom closet (and above the engine room bay ceiling) is ventilated by a Nicro Vent 12v dc 15 CFM fan located on the curbside roof) which is longer available and was not working. Apparently the failure of the regulators (twice) was due to temps above 145 F. There are a lot of other electronics in the compartment- engine, tranny, multiplex etc.

An entrance 12 v dc power vent fan (50 CFM) with ducting and a similar exit power vent fan have been added. Marine SS grilles were placed below and on each side of the backup camera on the outside of the rear cap. The 12 v dc power is controlled by a thermo switch, a manual switch and the ignition. All parts cost less than half of the nicro vent solar powered vent replacement The original nicro vent will remain as a non powered vent.

dbmotors 10-23-2015 10:54 AM

I also had to replace my voltage regulator left it behind the closet but did mount a computer fan so it blows across it this is tied into the ignition, when the engine is running so is the fan. Hope that this protects the voltage regulator from overheating. Also found that the ventilator fan was not working, no fan on the motor. Actually found that same problem on all three of them. Installed 60 mm computer fans in each round tube just required a little grounding on the corners and some silicone to secure them and connect to the original wiring, got a box of 5 fans for $30.