Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Under The Awning (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Cooking/eating while RVing (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33081)

badandy 01-11-2019 03:15 PM

Cooking/eating while RVing

I love to cook and I love to eat. I'm pretty good at both of them, :-/

I like to cook in the bus. I've got everything I need in there except the dishwasher (soon....). My wife doesn't do much cooking and her idea is that when we're on vacation that we should do more eating out and less cleanup than at home. We haven't had a toad (will soon), so we pack a lot when we leave and do pretty good that way.

When I am cooking in the bus I want to make good stuff and treat myself. I'm not doing box dinner stuff unless I'm worn out or running out of options in the pantry. Sometimes I will cook over the campfire, too.

So what is your mix of cooking junk, cooking well, and eating out when you're on a trip in your bus?

Randy T 01-11-2019 03:30 PM

We full-time, cook well and eat well, I'd say 95% of our meals are made in our bird. Just too expensive and usually disappointed when we eat out these days.

tsdevane 01-11-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badandy (Post 439778)
... I've got everything I need in there except the dishwasher (soon....)...

Andy...
Just a suggestion - https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/kitc...24SCTX9_N.html

This is a single drawer model which I plan to install in my BB. (Yes, it's coming!!). We have the dual drawer at home with is actually two units stacked in the space of a single standard dishwasher at home. For the BB, I believe one drawer will be sufficient. BTW, we rotate the use of the two individual units and have had excellent service with ours for the past ten years. HTH

Timothy

isp2952 01-11-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsdevane (Post 439780)
Andy...
Just a suggestion - https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/kitc...24SCTX9_N.html

This is a single drawer model which I plan to install in my BB. (Yes, it's coming!!). We have the dual drawer at home with is actually two units stacked in the space of a single standard dishwasher at home. For the BB, I believe one drawer will be sufficient. BTW, we rotate the use of the two individual units and have had excellent service with ours for the past ten years. HTH

Timothy

Tim,
While anything will work if you want to go to the trouble and expense, but the 24" width on most of the buses will be an issue that will take a major reno and most likely a considerable expense. Even an 18" will require some mods but will more likely be manageable.

Big Al 01-11-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badandy (Post 439778)
So what is your mix of cooking junk, cooking well, and eating out when you're on a trip in your bus?

We use a slow cooker with a cooking liner for easy clean up when traveling down the road.
Nothing better then the smell of ribs filling the coach while your driving to your destination .;);)
At the camp fire we us a dutch oven. You can make some great meals in them.

max hendrix 01-11-2019 04:50 PM

My wife is a great cook and we rarely eat out unless it’s a special occasion Example. Going down into Old Town Albuquerque for some authentic New Mexican food.

She likes to do pre-made homemade soup and cornbread or things like that for an easy meal after a hard day of driving.

When we are at camp, we usually share meals, ie. one family will plan and prepare something for Tuesday evening. Someone else will do Thursday. That way, nobody is burdened with cooking for the whole group for all week. Some of the things that are easy and will feed a big group include Hamburgers, spaghetti and salad, fried rice and some kind of meat, Grill cooked Tenderloin and corn cooked on grille with vegetables. The cooks work out the menu and schedule before we leave home so everyone knows what to bring. We never seem to go hungry. It takes a lot of energy to ride dirt bikes all day in the mountains and good food is important

Fast food is not very healthy and I get way too much of “eating out” when I’m traveling for my job.

I don’t cook much except on the grille and I’m not very good at that. Coffee is my specialty. And lots of it !! We camp and cook with a lot of friends and it takes a lot of coffee for 15 or 20 campers.

I’m the infrastructure guy for the group. I make sure we have Propane for the grille, trash bags, fire wood for the campfire etc. Soap and hot water for the cooks and tent campers to wash up with.

And I carry a lot of tools and parts for the motorcycles. Tires and tubes, etc. Repairs and maintenance is lots more fun and can be a learning experience when shared with your friends. Good times for Bench Racing and Consuming Adult Beverages.

Gatorgrl 01-11-2019 05:11 PM

We use an infrared grill for most of our meats, that way the inside of the bus doesn't get smoked up.
We are also new to cooking in the bus so we will learn as we go.

badandy 01-11-2019 05:13 PM

On the dishwasher - I can't do the 24" wide model, but one of the 18" counter top models slides right in below the cooktop. That is going in before spring. My research has, surprisingly, revealed that those small countertop models do a really good job washing the dishes. All of the horror stories I've read about (a small number) are because of a leaking hose connection or a gummed up gasket.

As for cooking - I do some sous vide here and there so that can go with, too. I don't have a gas grill set up yet, but I'm working on that. I have a 160,000 btu wok burner setup that I want to use. Not under the awning!

If we were staying for a week near Sante Fe I believe I would never cook a thing!

Crit Bliss 01-11-2019 06:10 PM

Depends where I'm staying, some cities are great culinary hot spots and others just aren't. Since I cook professionally I'm not in a big hurry to cook on vacation but I carry plenty of stuff. Just depends. Dishwasher is one of the best upgrades on my coach

Kiwi3 01-11-2019 06:19 PM

We have a 3QT InstaPot, a portable induction cooktop (single), and a infrared grill for outside. The induction cooktop is nice as it doesn't heat up the inside of the bus as much as the LPG burners.