Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   pull out bed (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16704)

sandy dyas 05-25-2013 01:09 PM

pull out bed

I am looking for ideas on how to make one of my couches into a pull out bed. Does anyone have any design ideas? Has anyone made one before?

M1894 05-25-2013 01:59 PM

We just removed the built in couch behind the passengers seat and installed a Flex Steel Jack knife sofa on our 84FC35SB. Had to modify the frame some to go over the front wheel housing, and raise it about 1 1/2", which was good for us, as we are both long legged.

Lee

sandy dyas 05-25-2013 02:08 PM

Hi Lee,
Thanks for the reply. That sounds very interesting. Do you have pictures that you are willing to share of the project? Where did you purchase the Flex Steel?
Thanks,
Sandy

Randy Dupree 05-25-2013 02:12 PM

Are you sure you don't have a pull out bed?

sandy dyas 05-25-2013 02:16 PM

Yes, I'm sure that the two couches are not pull out beds. You simply remove the back cushions and the seat is the sleeping area.

sandy dyas 05-25-2013 02:18 PM

Does anyone have pictures of what a pull out bed looks like in the original design?

iamflagman 05-25-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy dyas (Post 208766)
Does anyone have pictures of what a pull out bed looks like in the original design?

If nobody can come up with a picture for you, you may want to go to
Wanderlodge Owners Group > Links, Files, Old Yahoo Forum Database and Downloads > Manuals and Files Stored in This Forums Software DATABASE > Index of Downloaded Manuals and Files in Forums Software Database > MANUALS and look through some of the manuals there to see if any of them have an illustration to look at.

M1894 05-25-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy dyas (Post 208761)
Hi Lee,
Thanks for the reply. That sounds very interesting. Do you have pictures that you are willing to share of the project? Where did you purchase the Flex Steel?
Thanks,
Sandy

Sorry, no pictures, and I bought it from a salvage yard in Denver Colorado in 1997. I called my son last week to see how the old Bus was coming along with the new flooring, and he has removed the sofa and is putting in recliners. I will call him tonight to see if he still has the frame, and if so to send me some pictures of it that I can put up.

Lee

nbedinger 05-25-2013 07:44 PM

hey Sandy--

I *think* the pull out bed couch slides straight out and you fill in with the backrest pillows. It never occurred to me to analyze it when I was looking at FC and PT coaches. But now I think a 2nd couch would be nice in my SP36, and the tried-and-proven design seems like an obvious choice if I'm not going to splurge on getting the custom down-filled leather luxury couch ...

Not sure exactly how the traditional couch is built--there may be a backrest part of the couch that goes down flat when you pull out the seat, like a futon couch/bed, if you know about that. That is how a jacknife couch/bed works, too, but with a jacknife there's a certain amount of lifting and pulling and pushing it down flat again to open the bed.

Edit: Page 3-1 of the 1983 manual says you pull the bed platform out and lower/lock the legs into position, then fill in the platform with the pillows. Nice and straight-forward.

I believe there is more storage space (drawers) under the traditional Bluebird couch bed. My jacknife has storage underneath--the hinged front panel opens out to access it.

MarkYuma 05-25-2013 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what my bed looks like when it is not a bed....