Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Broken awning (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20635)

Samstu 08-20-2014 02:01 PM

Broken awning

1 Attachment(s)
Heavy downpour about 3 am. Brought dog inside, went back to bed. Bus shook violently. Looked around for source and found awning broken in two from weight of water pooled on it. Awning had been tight and water was running off far edge as table cloth on picnic table was already wet from water running down awning.

How do I take this off safely?

Buckeye Bird 08-20-2014 02:33 PM

Wow. That is a bummer Sam. Looks like water pretty close to you in the back as well.

I would think if the fabric is not destroyed I would try to CAREFULLY detach and unwind the left arm. Then detach the right arm and let the awning hang. Then remove the arms completely from the tube. Then take the end screws out of one of the slats on top and try to slide everything out the front or the back. Then hoist it to the top and tie it off to the goat rails. This will probably need at least 3 people to accomplish.
That is what I would try to do.......but that doesn't make it correct. Others may have much better ideas.

Samstu 08-20-2014 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Temp fix cuz I'm camping along youghegheny river for another 10 days. Pix is upside down.....

Rick 08-20-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samstu (Post 265642)
Temp fix cuz I'm camping along youghegheny river for another 10 days. Pix is upside down.....

Should be able to remove that Splint in 6 weeks Doctor.

Samstu 08-20-2014 03:04 PM

Thanks Dan. Will try that.

Rick, if six weeks would heal that, I would be happy. But I'm afraid the roller tube is terminal. Time to excercise the credit card.....

Kurt Achenbach 08-21-2014 07:09 AM

I will never forget the sound and shake of the coach when it happend to me a few years back in the middle of hard storm.
The roller tube collapsed in the middle and with some help we where able to roll up the awning and secure it.
Then calling Progressive (Comprehensive coverage) after I returned home. I had taken pictures, thy came the next day, reviewed the damage and agreed to replace the whole awning (less the deductible) rails and all. Fantastic service.
The biggest problem turned out to be to find a company who could do the work. Zip Dee does not have too many dealers.
Gook luck

Crit Bliss 08-21-2014 07:54 AM

I had a similar indecent once, I straighted the tube by and, rolled it up and fastened it down with the Zip Dee fasteners at the top contact point, mine does use the old style fastener and yours may not.

Samstu 08-21-2014 01:01 PM

New roller tube $ 233. Shipping freight collect $300-400 estimate

I also orgered new return spring mechansim - old one was weak $180

Travel latch - something mine didnt have $17

I'm gonna wait till next week, closer to our departure and attempt the awning removal. I think i can leave top attached. Then pull whole awning up onto roof and tie down

nbedinger 08-21-2014 06:50 PM

Sam--

I'm still trying to figure why it weighed enough to overcome the tube's strength, was the awning fabric waterlogged, causing it sag and let water pond? Maybe a microburst of downwind hit it??

Shipping prices are just awful. :mad: Between Zipdee and HWH, I think I'd break about even if I just took the 'bird to their midwest locations for service.

Randy Dupree 08-21-2014 07:35 PM

heres a tip for you.
the tube is EMT.
thats thin wall electrical conduit.
go down to the supply house and get a 20' section and thats all there is to it.