Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caterpillar 3208 Solutions (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   3208 NA Very Low Power! (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32754)

WanderAggie 11-18-2018 08:17 PM

3208 NA Very Low Power!

Short trip today of about 60 miles with very low power in a 1980 3208 NA.

I thought on several occasions I would not make it up a hill.

This is a normal route for us and have never had any issues previously. The engine has been trying to stall while cold for a while, but has always run very well once running for a while and warm. Today it did not want to keep running at any stop, and could not accelerate as normal or hold speed on hills that we normally hold speed on. In addition we seem to have a vibration that is new. I can't tell where it is coming from, but I would guess it is related.

Drove the Bird about 90 miles on Friday with no issues. Both Racor and main engine fuel filters are fairly new.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

kunzelj 11-18-2018 08:29 PM

Maybe it's missing and running rough with smoke?

Crit Bliss 11-18-2018 08:30 PM

Governor is broken?

Bill Pape 11-18-2018 08:35 PM

check the racor filter again

Frank W. 11-18-2018 08:48 PM

Take the easy & logical steps first: check air filter; crack the Racor and look at filter...any doubts as to filter condition replace fuel filters.

Check your throttle linkage...are you getting full/normal movements?

Those two down, do you have a Facet fuel pump back near the fuel tank? Confirm it is pumping.

Last...any unusual exhaust output? At idle, remove radiator cap...any bubbles?

WanderAggie 11-18-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunzelj (Post 434962)
Maybe it's missing and running rough with smoke?

It doesn't seem to miss when it is not under load. It seems to run quite well. I did not notice any unusual smoke, although my wife was following in the car and said she thought it smoked quite a bit. I think that may be due to the constant full throttle and the struggle just to move the bus.

It also seemed to do ok through 1st and 2nd gear, but struggled to maintain any acceleration after that - especially in top gear.

WanderAggie 11-18-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crit Bliss (Post 434963)
Governor is broken?

Maybe??

Any idea how I would diagnose that?

xbskt 11-18-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f.wernlein (Post 434967)
Take the easy & logical steps first: check air filter; crack the Racor and look at filter...any doubts as to filter condition replace fuel filters.

Check your throttle linkage...are you getting full/normal movements?

Those two down, do you have a Facet fuel pump back near the fuel tank? Confirm it is pumping.

Last...any unusual exhaust output? At idle, remove radiator cap...any bubbles?

What he ^ said.
Even if your Facet pump is pumping fuel confirm it is flowing at the Racor inlet to rule out a blockage in the fuel line.
Do you get WOT when not under load (not in gear)?

wtom24 11-18-2018 09:18 PM

Sounds like it is missing a cylinder-possibly stuck injector. At idle loosen the injector line nut at the head one by one. If any do not make a difference, then that cylinder is not firing. Fairly easy to change an injector if that is the problem. That would explain the vibration and the refusal to idle.

WanderAggie 11-18-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtom24 (Post 434971)
Sounds like it is missing a cylinder-possibly stuck injector. At idle loosen the injector line nut at the head one by one. If any do not make a difference, then that cylinder is not firing. Fairly easy to change an injector if that is the problem. That would explain the vibration and the refusal to idle.

Thanks - that is a good plan of action.

Only issue is it will idle fine when not under load. Just seems to have idle issues when I come to a stop after driving. Otherwise it will sit and idle for days. Once I got it back into the storage unit it sat and idled on it's own and seemed responsive to throttle inputs.

But, with that said I think the injectors are an easy thing to rule out.