Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Travel Tips - Fuel Prices (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How to park without shade (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10601)

Patric 07-05-2011 06:03 PM

How to park without shade

Thought this was the best forum for this question??

When you have no shade and a choice in which direction to park what do you do?

I started out north-south but that exposed the long sides to the sun in the morning and afternoon and it got hot. I rotated to east-west and it seemed to help with the temperature late in the afternoon.

The only problem with this orientation is the awning was useless in the morning and afternoon with the low sun.

What do you do?

White Hat Guy 07-05-2011 06:33 PM

How to park without shade

Patric - I feel your pain. Believe it or not, I have asked several times in those shade-less parks if there's a space next to a big class A. If they say yes, I ask for that space. Not too long ago, I hit the jackpot and had a Prevost on one side and a Newell on the other.:confused:

Patric 07-05-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Hat Guy (Post 115968)
Patric - I feel your pain. Believe it or not, I have asked several times in those shade-less parks if there's a space next to a big class A. If they say yes, I ask for that space. Not too long ago, I hit the jackpot and had a Prevost on one side and a Newell on the other.:confused:

Ha ha! Should have asked them if you could string a rope between them and put a tarp over yours:D

When your camping area is 30 miles wide and 70 miles long someone might be a bit put-out if you pulled up on the North side of them:rolleyes:

Christian 07-05-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patric (Post 115973)
Ha ha! Should have asked them if you could string a rope between them and put a tarp over yours:D

When your camping area is 30 miles wide and 70 miles long someone might be a bit put-out if you pulled up on the North side of them:rolleyes:

I've been thinking the same thing Patric!
I think the best is southern exposure to the awning. that way you will get shade on the north side and shade by the awning for the south. That is the best I could hope for... however I was thinking. How about an awning that goes over the roof? or a UV Tarp with fiber poles in the goatrail to hold it up like hoops on a military truck just not that big? Just about 2-3 feet above the ac's and with only 6 feet of coverage so the AC' would still get lots of air.... or even holes for the AC's They use that system in the bush in Australia and Africa, an extra roof with a 2 inch gap of air to catch the sun heat... keeps the car cool;) I'm still working on the perfect system..he he :D

cire 07-07-2011 12:00 AM

I'd face east. I could roll out the big awning for most of the day.

Patric 07-07-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cire (Post 116313)
I'd face east. I could roll out the big awning for most of the day.

I tried that and the coach was cooler inside but the awning was useless in the morning and afternoon when the sun was low in the sky.

I guess you have to decide what you want.

I think this is the making of a grant request. This is a relevant issue that needs to be solved with the infusion of public monies:rolleyes:

George Roberts 07-07-2011 07:38 AM

You could turn it around mid day every day??

NH Bill 07-07-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian (Post 116074)
I've been thinking the same thing Patric!
I think the best is southern exposure to the awning. that way you will get shade on the north side and shade by the awning for the south. That is the best I could hope for... however I was thinking. How about an awning that goes over the roof? or a UV Tarp with fiber poles in the goatrail to hold it up like hoops on a military truck just not that big? Just about 2-3 feet above the ac's and with only 6 feet of coverage so the AC' would still get lots of air.... or even holes for the AC's They use that system in the bush in Australia and Africa, an extra roof with a 2 inch gap of air to catch the sun heat... keeps the car cool;) I'm still working on the perfect system..he he :D

Recently, there was pretty detailed thread about doing this. Randy suggested getting some material he used when he was racing.... farm stuff. Forget the thread but someone will likely remember and cite it.

NH Bill

w4swk 07-07-2011 02:21 PM

This is something Sharlene and I have discussed at length. It gets pretty tough to keep that HUGE metal box cool! Sharlene suggested we park in the northern hemisphere in summer and the southern in winter. With these hot Texas days we've been enjoying, I'm beginning to like her idea!:)

NH Bill 07-07-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w4swk (Post 116403)
This is something Sharlene and I have discussed at length. It gets pretty tough to keep that HUGE metal box cool! Sharlene suggested we park in the northern hemisphere in summer and the southern in winter. With these hot Texas days we've been enjoying, I'm beginning to like her idea!:)

Thought about that before. How you gonna get that Bird past the DariƩn Gap?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap

NH Bill