Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   SP36 - will not start (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34258)

LLJ53 06-30-2019 09:43 PM

SP36 - will not start

1990 SP36 - on the way home from a camping trip in northern MI I experienced a surging while on cruise control as well as the inability to disengage the cruise control by either stepping on the brake or switching off the cruise with the switch. I initially thought this maybe a faulty ground, loose wire or failing controller so I drove without the cruise control. Once I got home I turned off the engine. Emptied the bus, had dinner, then went to start the engine in order to return the bus to the storage lot. The key did nothing. It was like the anti-theft switch was on, but it was not. The batteries gages looked OK but I tried jumping the starting batteries and still had nothing at the switch. I disconnected and cleaned all the battery terminals, still nothing. I used the jumper cables to try to establish a better ground connection, still nothing. So the bus is in front of my condo for tonight and I am looking for some ideas of what could be the issue here and if it could be related to the failed cruise control. Tomorrow I will check out the started solenoid. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Larry

B.Nyhof 06-30-2019 10:01 PM

There is a Ford solenoid that feeds the starter solenoid. Make sure you check those connections as well. I had a issue this spring with that solenoid. When I tried the key there was absolutely nothing, like your describing. It’s on the frame rail ahead of the starter. Good luck. On another note, how are the temps?

LLJ53 06-30-2019 10:06 PM

Brian, the temps seem to be running good. Between 190 and 200.
I will check out that solenoid first thing tomorrow.
Any Ideas on the surging cruise control?

B.Nyhof 06-30-2019 10:11 PM

I don’t have any idea on the surging Larry. How did you get it to disengage? Is the switch in the off position? I had mine surge before on a trip one time. It hasn’t done it since though.

biobug 06-30-2019 10:40 PM

You might try starting it with the rear start. It many times will bypass a wiring problem.

Dieselbird01 06-30-2019 11:47 PM

Transmission in neutral? :)

Gene Mehr 07-01-2019 01:57 AM

When mine wouldn't start it was the Cannon plugs under the dash

Clueless 07-01-2019 07:35 AM

I have had to press firmly on the shifter N button while turning the key. Also had the key switch in the dash act up.

LLJ53 07-01-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.Nyhof (Post 456485)
I don’t have any idea on the surging Larry. How did you get it to disengage? Is the switch in the off position? I had mine surge before on a trip one time. It hasn’t done it since though.

Brian, once I engaged the cruise control and set it at 63 the cruise would accelerate to 69. I then would turn off the cruise control via the switch but the cruise would continue to maintain speed. I then tried to apply the brake, lightly, but still it maintained speed. I left the switch off and continued to drive the bus and nothing happened till we had some rough pavement which justled the bus and the cruise disengaged. I repeated this experiment a couple of times and the same sequence occurred which lead me to believe it is electrical.

LLJ53 07-01-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biobug (Post 456488)
You might try starting it with the rear start. It many times will bypass a wiring problem.

OK, since this was an easy try first thing this morning I tried your suggestion. I opened the rear, set the selector to rear and the ignition in the rear would turn the engine over. I went into the bus, turned the ignition on inside, went out side and started the bus, swithted the selector to front, turned off the key in back and the bus kept running. Went back inside, turned of the bus and then restarted it from the inside. Not sure what happened but suspect the system reset itself. So the bus is back running and I will test out the cruise control on the way back to the storage lot. Still would appreciate and thoughts on why this happened.
Thank you everyone cause I was truly stumped.
Larry