Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Caulking for Storage bay (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11743)

foxyfish1001 11-01-2011 08:26 PM

Caulking for Storage bay
 
I think i found my leakes in my storage bays. I think it is where the hinges screw to the body. Is the sheet metal steel or aluminum. If aluminum I seem to remember silicone being no good. What would you guys recomend.

83 bird 11-01-2011 08:42 PM

I have used seam seal where pannels join. Can be found at automotive paint suppliers. Putty tape may also work well as you may need to remove it down the road. Metal roof supplier should have in stock. The seam seal is paintable.

Bob Johannesen 11-01-2011 10:40 PM

I have stopped using silicone on the Bird. I now use 3M #5200 which is a polyurethane based sealant with two different cure rates available. Great for boats where flexibility is desired - as with a Bird. I pulled alot of hardware off my roof and replaced the screws (with some recommended by you guys) and used 5200 on all seams, screws, holes, and mounting flanges.....the elusive leak is gone!!! And I was able to paint over it after several days.
Available on internet and at West Marine


.

Bill Pape 11-02-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxyfish1001 (Post 134169)
I think i found my leakes in my storage bays. I think it is where the hinges screw to the body. Is the sheet metal steel or aluminum. If aluminum I seem to remember silicone being no good. What would you guys recomend.

Robert,

If there are battery cables or wires running into the bay for an inverter or battery charger, BB used split loom to protect the wireing, Rain & road water leaks into the loom and drains into the bay.

Lee Davis 11-02-2011 09:45 AM

Sealant and adhesive
 
I had a couple of steel panels on the inside of my fiberglass bay doors coming loose where they were sealed around the edges so I got all the old sealant out and clamped it and used the black polyurethane sealant I got at Lowes and it worked great. Took about a day to set up well but is better then the original.

It wasn't too expensive, as I recall about $6 per tube. I can't remember the brand


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.