Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Turbo blankets? Yes or no? (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35251)

Tom442 11-12-2019 08:52 PM

Turbo blankets? Yes or no?

4 Attachment(s)
So doing some work on the bus, new hinges for the doghouse. Old aluminum brackets were seized to the pivot pins.
Anyway... lots of info about turbo blankets online. Do you have them?

Crit Bliss 11-13-2019 08:33 AM

I put them on my new engine, I don't have enough running time to give a opinion other than they look cool

Bad Latitude 11-13-2019 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed turbo, elbow, and exhaust pipe blankets. Seems to cut down heat and noise along with the Dynamat sound barrier I put on the outside of the doghouse. ATP in California has the patterns.
HTHs

Crit Bliss 11-13-2019 09:39 AM

I dealt with a company out of Canada, $148 for elbows and turbo, I thought that was a good price

Mike Hohnstein 11-13-2019 11:33 AM

Good price, about 25% what the guys in Cali soak me.

Steelwheels 11-13-2019 02:25 PM

I thought Randy posted a while back on this subject, that blankets cause problems with rusting the turbo and causeing leaks. Don’t quote me maybe Randy can chime in ?

You think they help Mike, with power or other reasons ?

Crit Bliss 11-13-2019 05:42 PM

I put a blanket on the elbows and turbo to reduce heat transfer to the cabin. I have my down pipe wrapped with header tape to protect the airbags, yes, it may cause it to rust faster by holding moisture. The short pipes are stainless and the turbo would take a long time to rust through

Steelwheels 11-13-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crit Bliss (Post 469814)
I put a blanket on the elbows and turbo to reduce heat transfer to the cabin. I have my down pipe wrapped with header tape to protect the airbags, yes, it may cause it to rust faster by holding moisture. The short pipes are stainless and the turbo would take a long time to rust through

Do you still have the name of the company you bought yours from ?

Were they sized or specifically for the CAT 3208 ?

Crit Bliss 11-13-2019 06:12 PM

I do, I kept a pretty good file of the build. They are built specifically for the 3208T. I will pull out the invoice when I get home tonight.

Crit Bliss 11-13-2019 06:39 PM

Firwin.com

Tom442 11-14-2019 07:46 PM

From Firwin Site

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelwheels (Post 469801)
I thought Randy posted a while back on this subject, that blankets cause problems with rusting the turbo and causeing leaks. Don’t quote me maybe Randy can chime in ?

You think they help Mike, with power or other reasons ?

From their site these seem like pretty valid reasons. I need to get an emission test before I get my plates renewed. They said to get it good and hot for the Dyno test.

Manufacturers of on-highway vehicles use Firwin removable insulation blankets to:
Ensure emissions targets are met. Insulating the exhaust piping and catalyst ensures that high exhuast temperatures are maintained, so that the catalyst performs optimally and government-mandated pollution targets are met.
Shield cabin interiors from ambient heat generated by exhaust piping, especially a concern for coaches and RVs.
Prevent nearby heat-sensitive cables and components from malfunctioning due to exposure to high exhaust heat.

Tom442 11-20-2019 04:32 PM

exhaust manifold blankets?

2 Attachment(s)
Did our birds have them? Wondering about even getting those as well. Looks like a really tight fit!

I've received a quote from Firwin.

1 FCAT145: 3208T: DITA 205-275 Kw; Turbo&Elbow Extn $148.50

I have their local rep looking into it as you can see in the photos they sent, there is a big flange off the elbow. He is going to clear up if the extension in the quote, goes beyond the flange in the images they sent.

Crit Bliss 11-20-2019 06:19 PM

That's what I bought from them in August or July this year, same price. The blanket does not include any exhaust pipe past the turbo

Tom442 11-20-2019 08:14 PM

Those do look awesome!

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Latitude (Post 469761)
I installed turbo, elbow, and exhaust pipe blankets. Seems to cut down heat and noise along with the Dynamat sound barrier I put on the outside of the doghouse. ATP in California has the patterns.
HTHs

Is that one piece from the Turbo down? about how far does it go? I spoke with Roberto their engineer at ATP today and he sent the attached pics. I want to make sure the air bags have protection. Do ya think I need all of those pieces? Sections A-D?

Robert Britton 11-20-2019 11:19 PM

Tom, When I had my 87FC I sent Roberto the the factory blankets that were on my coach along with measurments to come up with the templet he uses for our coaches. From the factory the blankets only were used on the down pipe after the turbo, those are critical as the exhaust pipe runs very close to the airbag on late model FC's. I never did install the "valve cover" blankets as I was not able to get them on due to clearance issues but Roberto said if I brought the coach to him that he was sure he could get them on...I never made it down there to let him try. There are four sections from the turbo down, at a minimum as long as you get the one that goes near the airbag you should be good, I just don't remember what section is needed to accomplish that task.

You may have read my post already but here is the link.. https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ead.php?t=2529

Bruce 11-21-2019 08:48 AM

I used to have a motorhome with a Dodge 440 ( one **** of a motor). Overheating was always a problem. Partially due to the exhaust manifolds cooking everything. Headers solved that problem but I also used header wrap to protect the spark plug wires. Headers were rusted out in one year. Never again on exhaust tubing.

Tom442 11-21-2019 01:34 PM

I had not seen that link Robert, very helpful!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Britton (Post 470441)
Tom, When I had my 87FC I sent Roberto the the factory blankets that were on my coach along with measurments to come up with the templet he uses for our coaches. From the factory the blankets only were used on the down pipe after the turbo, those are critical as the exhaust pipe runs very close to the airbag on late model FC's. I never did install the "valve cover" blankets as I was not able to get them on due to clearance issues but Roberto said if I brought the coach to him that he was sure he could get them on...I never made it down there to let him try. There are four sections from the turbo down, at a minimum as long as you get the one that goes near the airbag you should be good, I just don't remember what section is needed to accomplish that task.

You may have read my post already but here is the link.. https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ead.php?t=2529

Thank you!

Gatorgrl 11-21-2019 01:54 PM

We only wrap stainless headers...never steel or iron for rusting reasons mentioned above.

Bruce 11-21-2019 04:57 PM

I had my headers ceramic coated! No one made stainless for my application.

Andy Coleman, 83' FC-35 11-28-2019 09:57 AM

Great discussion! Does the turbo and header blankets help reduce noise in the cabin? Is it slight, or noticeable?

Crit Bliss 11-28-2019 10:20 AM

Zero noise reduction

Tom442 12-09-2019 02:48 PM

Do you have a picture Crit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crit Bliss (Post 469814)

Do you have pics? Did your exhaust manifolds to the turbo have the flat metal shields or just round pipes.

Crit Bliss 12-09-2019 03:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thomas, my former engine had the flat shields, the new one does not. Here are some pics from the installation, hope they can help

Tom442 12-09-2019 04:59 PM

Thanks Crit,

Looks great! So these blankets are new since the engine. Do you think the same pattern would kinda fit over the shields on mine? If not I'd have them do just the turbo and the elbow. Those shields are just put on with U bolts.
ATP stuff is really nice but kind of pricey, Maybe Santa will spring for the $$$ ones!

Crit Bliss 12-09-2019 07:35 PM

Thomas, I dont see why not but won't the blankets do the work of the shields and then some?

Crit Bliss 12-09-2019 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you blow up this pic I think you will be able to see how the blankets are installed

cemjam 12-10-2019 05:15 PM

Great picture Crit. I agree the shields should do the work of the blankets.