Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Members (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Newbie in New England (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32394)

xbskt 09-27-2018 10:26 PM

Newbie in New England

Hello to all,
We have just begun thinking about changing over from the fifth wheel life to a Class A and Bluebirds are just my style. Mid fifties couple, two grown kids with three grandkids. Two Pugs but otherwise we travel alone as a couple. Puttering on the camper is how I relax when away from home. We have always driven where we go. Too much to see out there to fly over it in my opinion.
Diesel maintenance does not worry me and as an electrician I am not too worried about electrical troubleshooting as needed. RV systems and their maintenance has been part of life with the fiver we have so I really feel like I am a good candidate to be a Bluebird owner.
The big question is which Bird. I have it narrowed down to a few with the FC 35 and PT40 being in the price point sweet spot generally speaking.

FC33 or 35. Mom prefers the bed in the rear. I would prefer a turbo Cat so newer than 85?

I had been set on a single rear axle but find myself looking at this listing quite a bit.
https://www.buybyebluebird.com/Coach...9889242018PT40
I would write a check for 25K if it passed muster but it is not time yet. We haven't even been inside a Bird yet.

Not sure how I feel about the looks of the SP36 but is it worth looking at and why is it a fan favorite?

The M380 looks like what we would like if we went with a later model bird but I have to say I like the looks and simplicity of the older Bluebirds and not sure I want to deal with issues that come with a slide. The price of the 380 is a factor no doubt but we would consider it at least to look and rule out. She might fall in love and so far she is saying not to buy a project so a newer coach might need less "puttering".;)

Towing a car (SUV) will be new to us but towing in general is old hat for us but is something to consider coming from the fifth wheel way.
A new truck and updated fiver is also an option but if we are going to go the Class A way it will be our next camper.

We recently went by the Vintage Bird Rally in Truro on Cape Cod but were there too early on the first day so saw no one out and about but got our first good look at various models albeit from the outside and I came away with a better understanding of what I like and that means pre wide body from what I can tell. Maybe next time we stop into a rally it will be later in the day or even better on an open house day.
We are interested in checking out a few different models in order to decide if the Bluebird is for us and if yes what model suits our needs.

If you live in Massachusetts and own an FC, PT or M380 we would love to hear from you and maybe take a peek inside your Bluebird. Time inside will go a long way to help us decide if a Bluebird is in our future.

Enough for now and thanks for any feedback. I'll go back to research mode.

Crit Bliss 09-27-2018 10:32 PM

Hi Jeff, I’m in eastham on the Cape with a FC33 turbo air ride. Let me know if you want to check it out

xbskt 09-27-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crit Bliss (Post 430160)
Hi Jeff, I’m in eastham on the Cape with a FC33 turbo air ride. Let me know if you want to check it out

I would definitely like that. I am in Orleans occasionally and will send you a PM next time I am headed over.
Were you at the rally in Truro last week. Roughly ten Birds but my timing was off. Either people still asleep or out early to explore the outer Cape.

jwithem26 09-27-2018 11:14 PM

hi jeff
I am just over the border in hudsom nh have a 98 lxi if your interested in taking a look

tintent 09-28-2018 07:34 AM

Jeff
it sounds like a SP is what you want and some will be in your price range you can look at mine after Williamsburg. located just over the Maine border off 95 check out Johns and mine the same day.

irmagoo 09-28-2018 07:53 AM

welcome to the forum jeff
i'm sure you can find a bird to your liking,,,,and the support here is great
happy hunting!!!
mike

Chief607 09-28-2018 08:19 AM

Greetings Jeff and welcome. As Im sure you have already figured it out but the WOG here is unsurpassed on knowledge

Randy Dupree 09-28-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xbskt (Post 430159)
Hello to all,
We have just begun thinking about changing over from the fifth wheel life to a Class A and Bluebirds are just my style. Mid fifties couple, two grown kids with three grandkids. Two Pugs but otherwise we travel alone as a couple. Puttering on the camper is how I relax when away from home. We have always driven where we go. Too much to see out there to fly over it in my opinion.
Diesel maintenance does not worry me and as an electrician I am not too worried about electrical troubleshooting as needed. RV systems and their maintenance has been part of life with the fiver we have so I really feel like I am a good candidate to be a Bluebird owner.
The big question is which Bird. I have it narrowed down to a few with the FC 35 and PT40 being in the price point sweet spot generally speaking.

FC33 or 35. Mom prefers the bed in the rear. I would prefer a turbo Cat so newer than 85?

I had been set on a single rear axle but find myself looking at this listing quite a bit.
https://www.buybyebluebird.com/Coach...9889242018PT40
I would write a check for 25K if it passed muster but it is not time yet. We haven't even been inside a Bird yet.

Not sure how I feel about the looks of the SP36 but is it worth looking at and why is it a fan favorite?

The M380 looks like what we would like if we went with a later model bird but I have to say I like the looks and simplicity of the older Bluebirds and not sure I want to deal with issues that come with a slide. The price of the 380 is a factor no doubt but we would consider it at least to look and rule out. She might fall in love and so far she is saying not to buy a project so a newer coach might need less "puttering".;)

Towing a car (SUV) will be new to us but towing in general is old hat for us but is something to consider coming from the fifth wheel way.
A new truck and updated fiver is also an option but if we are going to go the Class A way it will be our next camper.

We recently went by the Vintage Bird Rally in Truro on Cape Cod but were there too early on the first day so saw no one out and about but got our first good look at various models albeit from the outside and I came away with a better understanding of what I like and that means pre wide body from what I can tell. Maybe next time we stop into a rally it will be later in the day or even better on an open house day.
We are interested in checking out a few different models in order to decide if the Bluebird is for us and if yes what model suits our needs.

If you live in Massachusetts and own an FC, PT or M380 we would love to hear from you and maybe take a peek inside your Bluebird. Time inside will go a long way to help us decide if a Bluebird is in our future.

Enough for now and thanks for any feedback. I'll go back to research mode.

ME,Me,Me let me speak!!
Ha! i had razor blades for breakfast,so i'm sharp today!!

Welcome to the ZOO,the WOG is going to be your family!
Wow,too much to reply too,but if you want to buy that Bird you listed i know the guy selling it!
Wait,thats me!!

If your handy you will fit right in,and being an electrician you may get a little lost for a while,until we bring you up to speed!
The Bird is a complex machine,the coach will have 120vac,12vdc and a million switchs and relays,then toss in an inverter,which makes 120ac from 12vdc and also charges the batteries and ,but wait,no need to go into all that now!

But really,the best thing you can do at this point in time is to get down to Pine Mountain Ga in Oct.
We have the McDaddy of wanderlodge rallys going on down there,140 or so Birds of every color and shape,and everyone will be glad to show them off.
You can meet the guys and gals of WOG,make a few friends and we even have a few (more than a few) members from way up North!

The Beatles wrote us a song "all you need is WOG"

Come on down!

NealinNevada 09-28-2018 07:37 PM

Obvious name, when you get a Wanderlodge Jeff, is "Nantucket Sleighride."

xbskt 09-28-2018 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NealinNevada (Post 430239)
Obvious name, when you get a Wanderlodge Jeff, is "Nantucket Sleighride."

I have to say that is a good one. I hadn't thought of it and Mrs. approves as well. It falls in line well with our other passion.