Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   drive line noise (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16173)

RubberTramp 04-03-2013 11:50 AM

drive line noise

So I went out for a fuel and shakedown run and have a terrible noise in the drive line. it is most noticeable under load and in the galley. it can't be heard from the drivers seat and is a ticking or clunking that turns into a whine as speed increases. also when stopped you can her a clunk when changing from drive to reverse or if you let off the brake and reapply it. I thought it was a u-joint but I have pulled the drive shaft from the pinion yoke and there is no play or grit in the caps nor was there play when i put the pry bar on the joint while it was still installed. the yoke moves by hand about a 1/4 inch in each direction before stopping. should there be this much lash? there is no pinion bearing end play. thoughts?

Rick 04-03-2013 12:10 PM

Inner pinion bearing? Put a bar on that yoke and be sure you only have 1/4 inch lash.

RubberTramp 04-03-2013 11:23 PM

updade...im gonna land all it to barnicks in north haven 250 for the ride on the bed

Bill Pape 04-04-2013 07:27 AM

Good luck with the repair, it may be time to research which gear to install if a rebuild is needed.

bwinter1946 04-04-2013 03:00 PM

Is there a two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing on the FCs that could cause this? My SOB had one is why I ask.

RubberTramp 04-04-2013 03:13 PM

There are two rubber driveshaft carriers one for the front section and one for the rear just after the slip joint. The foward one has a bit of slop to it but the sound is verry localized to right above the rear end while standing in the galley.

RubberTramp 04-04-2013 03:23 PM

Bill...what options do I have? I've heard of a two speed rear end in some of the na's one just sold in FL. I think it was popular in the medium duty dunp trucks that had the 3208. The body tag says its geared 5.29 and was repowerd with a 3208t not sure if it is the 250 or 300HP but it has the turbo hump and an Allison 4 speed. Im hoping it is just a bearing but if I have to replace gears what are my options?

iamflagman 04-04-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberTramp (Post 201104)
updade...im gonna land all it to barnicks in north haven 250 for the ride on the bed

Adam,

It may be good idea to think about purchasing a Road Service contract, check out Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs > Best Towing Membership Program

If you had already had one it would have covered that RIDE on the Landoll and saved you around $150.00 too.

tmabbott12 04-04-2013 03:39 PM

I have had U-joints make some strange sounds that sounds like your description. I hope in your case that is it.

gcyeaw 04-04-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberTramp (Post 201177)
Bill...what options do I have? I've heard of a two speed rear end in some of the na's one just sold in FL. I think it was popular in the medium duty dunp trucks that had the 3208. The body tag says its geared 5.29 and was repowerd with a 3208t not sure if it is the 250 or 300HP but it has the turbo hump and an Allison 4 speed. Im hoping it is just a bearing but if I have to replace gears what are my options?

The 300 HP has an charge air cooler, which I doubt is installed on your coach. You would need to push the front end out to house it. Could be a 250, they are the biggest HP without the charge air cooler.