Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   LX and LXI (Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Service Brake Issue on our 450LXI (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7559)

Doubledoc 09-02-2010 04:31 PM

Service Brake Issue on our 450LXI

I was encourage to post this on this forum after mentioning it to another group.

I had the 450LXI in for alignment at Kaiser Alignment and Brake in Eugene,OR. After the work was done, the tech took it for a ride. He mentioned that the service brakes do not come on with easy pressure . It takes a lot of movement and pressure for them to engage for a rapid stop.
He said they have seen this before and the fix was to replace a valve stem for the service brakes with a longer stem and then by trial and error grind it down until the right length was found. I had agreed that the brakes took much more movement and pressure to get expected results than our previous BB required.

In our case a longer valve stem (1/8th inch which is very large increase) was the starting point. It turned out we needed it all. The brakes come on with small movement and reduced pressure. In a panic or rapid stop it is great to get a very quick response.

The tech said this was a common problem with some Motorhomes.

davidmbrady 09-03-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubledoc (Post 71708)
I was encourage to post this on this forum after mentioning it to another group. <snip, snip,...>

Hi DoubleDoc,

Thanks for the info. For those of us considering an upgrade to an M450, this kind of information is invaluable. I belong to most of the forums and I didn't see this service brake discussion anywhere. So that I might stay informed, where was it discussed?

G_man 09-03-2010 11:54 AM

Having just changed over from a 43LXi to the M450 LXi in April, the first thing I noticed was how much better the M450 stopped. It seems to have a much shorter stopping distance. I did notice that the brake required a little more pressure but adjusted my foot position to compensate. This fix seems that it will give me the better braking that I am enjoying coupled with less pedal pressure. Thanks. I will print your post for my mechanic.

rwoody 09-03-2010 01:01 PM

where is this part located on the brake pedal or?

Doubledoc 09-03-2010 05:07 PM

I believe it is under the brake pedal. That is where they were working. I think there is an air valve under there and the valve stem in that valve is what they replaced with a longer one(1/8th inch longer) They said that was a very large increase and usually have to grind it down 10 mils at a time. Ours took the full 125 mils, and now works great. A good air service brake shop should know more about this than I know.

The other group I was referring to is an e-mail group run by Dan Sunderland, email address 86bluebird@sbcglobal.net. I had sent him an e-mail on this brake issue among other things.

cmillsap 09-03-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmbrady (Post 71778)
Hi DoubleDoc,

Thanks for the info. For those of us considering an upgrade to an M450, this kind of information is invaluable. I belong to most of the forums and I didn't see this service brake discussion anywhere. So that I might stay informed, where was it discussed?

Geez, David,

All that beautiful work on your LXi and your thinking about trading it off now???

Chuck

davidmbrady 09-03-2010 07:11 PM

Shhh, just between us... It's my wife's idea... :confused:

Thanks Doubledoc.

cmillsap 09-03-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmbrady (Post 71778)
Hi DoubleDoc,

I wonder if this upgrade might be applicable to other model 'Birds as well??

Chuck

rwoody 09-03-2010 08:09 PM

that is what i am thinking chuck

my sp to me is a little hard on the brake imo and that is the 1 that counts is ours right