Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Generator positive post arc - potential fire issue (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15106)

IMANEWBIE 11-14-2012 01:53 AM

Generator positive post arc - potential fire issue

3 Attachment(s)
Almost had a fire in the generator compartment. :eek: I just had the generator coolant hoses replaced. Took the bird on a few short trips and discovered the generator would overheat. :confused: Took it back to the shop for more coolant (they didn't bleed all the air out). Generator ran fine after that; however, now the scare begins. When we retracted the generator back in and started her up we immediately smelled an electrical fire problem and shut her down. After everyone running for a fire extinguisher no fire found but damage was seen. Turns out that the positive post broke free from the wall mount and contacted with the generator coolant hose support causing it to arc and starting a electrical fire. Killing the power as fast as we did saved the coach. Thank God it happened at the shop while we were all watching the coolant level and testing the generator. If it happened on the road or while camping my coach would be toast now. :( Somebody was watching over me.
So the fix will be to install a 300amp inline fuse and shorten the coolant line support. We are looking for a fireproof electrical mounting plate for the fuse to be mounted to before screwing it to the side wall.

IMANEWBIE 11-14-2012 01:59 AM

I'll also be replacing the new charred coolant line that was just replaced. It's painful to throw away money but better safe than find a leak while on the road. While I'm at it I'll replace the other hoses in the picture with the 1988 date code.

I will try to get more pictures of the damaged post when it's pulled out.

Hoagie 11-14-2012 05:45 AM

OMG!! that was a lucky catch. It almost looks like a welding arc on that hose. Glad to hear all is well:)

rrueckwald 11-14-2012 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have seen two cases where a mechanic has reinstalled the cables incorrectly, causing bending on the post and the terminal. The clamps after the terminal had been left off, allowing stress on the terminal. The cables should roll as the tray goes in and out, with no bending action on the cables or terminal.

The picture below shows the top part. The cables loop down and to the rear making a "U". There should be two clamps to take any stress off the terminals. You can just see the clamps on the cables with rubber insulation. I'll take a better picture if you want further information.

The fix is NOT to remove bracket material.

ironmike 11-14-2012 06:50 PM

That coulda been much hairier Mike! You are right, God was watching over you!

IMANEWBIE 11-14-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrueckwald (Post 184867)
I have seen two cases where a mechanic has reinstalled the cables incorrectly, causing bending on the post and the terminal. The clamps after the terminal had been left off, allowing stress on the terminal. The cables should roll as the tray goes in and out, with no bending action on the cables or terminal.

The picture below shows the top part. The cables loop down and to the rear making a "U". There should be two clamps to take any stress off the terminals. You can just see the clamps on the cables with rubber insulation. I'll take a better picture if you want further information.

The fix is NOT to remove bracket material.

Ron,
I did notice they did not have the coolant lines attached to the rear bracket. I'll check up on it this weekend to see what type of cable solution they came up with. It's hard to see your lines in the picture but I understand what your saying.

IMANEWBIE 11-14-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmike (Post 184877)
That coulda been much hairier Mike! You are right, God was watching over you!

For sure! When I think about how bad it could have been I realize how lucky I really was.

rrueckwald 11-15-2012 09:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Michael, here are two pictures I took for you, one of the clamps next to the terminals, and a side shot showing how the cables roll as the generator tray goes in and out.

TO ALL, if your clamps have disappeared over the years, get them back on. Those are the only things keeping you from an eventual dead short as Michael had. Mechanics twice left them off in coaches I have looked at, and the cables were routed wrong on one of them, making a fatiguing action at the terminals. I can't stress (pun) how important those clamps are.

jyclegg 11-15-2012 10:10 AM

That is just to clean!! Ron, if you are bored, stop by!? Mine is a mess.

Randy Dupree 11-15-2012 10:16 AM

Yeah,Ron and David.making the rest of us look like slobs!