Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Campgrounds (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21854)

Ragbag64 02-02-2015 09:44 PM

Campgrounds

I would like to plan a trip to Fort wilderness @ Disney, can anyone give me some pointers, Do's & Don'ts. I have read some of the old posts just looking for any updates! Thanks very much!

JamesR 02-02-2015 10:03 PM

I went in 2012.

We had a spot near the boat dock. Made it easy to walk to the boat over to Magic Kingdom.

Rained like a hurricane when we got there so I was soaked setting up.

It is nice to pull in there and they give you everything you need. They will ask you to shut down when you pull up to the window. You do not have to get out. I pre-paid for everything they they handed me ALL of my tickets and extras right there.
Never had to talk to anyone else.

We arrived at night and it was still easy to back in. We had nice palms and trees surrounding us. We didn't do anything there, just spent two days at Magic Kingdom, and Epcot.

You can go down to the boats EARLY, still dark) and watch the sun come up as you ride over. Boat drops you off right at the entrance to Magic Kingdom. With this said, you can catch the monorail to any other park from right there.

We usually go in OCTOBER as the Wine and Food Festival is going on at EPCOT. 20+ years so far. You can sample food and wine from all over the world.

If you need anymore detail just PM me. I still have all my maps from the trip in the bus. Plenty of signs to get you to the gate of Ft Wilderness.

JamesR 02-02-2015 10:06 PM

Side note:

When we pulled in we had a crowd gather and follow us to our spot. They all wanted to see the bus....then it rained and they ran for the hills!! LOL

BrianS 02-02-2015 10:22 PM

I have walked through the campground, but did not camp there. It is probably the nicest RV park I have ever seen. But it is big, most people use a golf cart to get around, they will not let you drive your car through the campground on a routine basis I believe. But being Disney, the place is expensive. Rent a golf cart from off park. They have guys that will deliver them to you. Or bring your own. Or the shuttle buses that run regular routes will work.
And I do not think they let you select a certain campsite. Maybe just the general area.

ttikalsky 02-03-2015 12:58 AM

Stayed at Fort Wilderness 1 time about 3 years ago. There are 3 shuttle bus routes thru the campground that take you to the main pickup station or to the boat. Each camp loop has a mini bus station at the entrance which makes it real nice to get around. First time we spent the entire day at the park which wore everyone out. We learned to go to the park early, back to the camp site for lunch and back to the park after dinner. Nice returning to the park ready to go, lines are shorter, temps cooler and at least one park stays open late each night. The after dark parades are fun for the kids, worth seeing.

The evening fireworks show at Epcot was really good.

thudpilot1 02-03-2015 08:05 AM

Found Fort Wilderness to be rather tight UNLESS you receive a spot in the big rig section! Much more room there.

Chap 02-03-2015 09:19 AM

We went in mid May 2013 and found Fort Wilderness to be less than 50% occupied. The parks were still full, but it made transportation to and from the campground a dream. We asked for and received a site in the 700 loop which put us very close to the marina. You can take a boat directly to the Magic Kingdom from there or take one to the Contemporary and catch the monorail to anywhere. It's also close to the store and the restaurant. Planning to do the same thing this year. http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/fo...ness-map-1.jpg

racin41bb 02-03-2015 09:47 AM

Fine campground, highly organized staff. They have a special area for folks with dogs.

Pricey, but worth the dough.

Bill

Ragbag64 02-03-2015 09:29 PM

I would like to thank everyone for the replies, the information is very helpful. Iam a newbee to the wonderlodge but a semi- seasoned traveler been to two old countries and Arkansas!