Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   LX and LXI (Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Why were/are Bluebirds so good (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33909)

cgremill 05-15-2019 08:52 PM

Why were/are Bluebirds so good

Okay, I must admit that I have been a Wanderlodge admirer since I was a kid. When I was 5-6 we always vacationed from Louisiana to the sugar sands of the Florida Panhandle. I recall my dad admiring a "Dodge" motorhome parked next to us. We were in a 17 foot travel trailer that he bolted on a window A/C unit to the rear window. We packed 5 kids and mom and dad into a travel trailer that was meant to sleep 4 at most.

I am the youngest of 5 siblings, mom and dad are gone and 2 sisters have been lost to cancer. I now make my home 5 miles from the campground we made our first beach trip that I can remember. I am now 56 and a lot of water has passed under the bridge as they say.

What remains is my desire to go to the beach. We just recently upgraded from an Airstream to a gently used 2000 Wanderlodge Lxi and my family's first camping trip was to a state park 2 miles from our home. The campground from my childhood is still open and more popular than ever.

The Wanderlodge is a beautiful and well engineered machine. I think back to my first camping trips and have such great memories of family and meeting new friends. I know my dad is smiling down on me as I carry on the family tradition of camping and putting the stress of the week behind me as we pull into our designated site at the nearest state park.

I am exceedingly proud that my upgrade to a Wanderlodge brings with it the superbly engineered machine that my dad would have been proud to have owned. Here I am carrying out the family tradition and living out the dreams of my father.

Interested in what makes your Bluebird so special...

Chip Gremillion
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
2000 LXi 43

Chief607 05-15-2019 09:19 PM

For us it was buying a piece of history. Didn't really realize we had a diamond in the ruff. Its the WOG members that made us realize owning a wanderlodge was a privilege. Knowing what I know now I think the quality is still superb over most SOB.

kg4rrx 05-15-2019 09:27 PM

Kinda runs in the family for me

Silver Eagle 05-15-2019 09:31 PM

Welcome Chip-
You will love the LXI-
Its a learning curve - Be patent and ask your questions-
Enjoy-
MJD

Randy Dupree 05-15-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4rrx (Post 452109)
Kinda runs in the family for me

I love to hear that!
We have a few familys here.

Harold,Cat&Sam 05-16-2019 08:35 AM

Howdy and Welcome . The WOG family makes ownership a wonderful experience. You can find a more expensive coach , but you cannot find one with better construction .
The coach is great , but the new friends is hands down the best thing about owning a bird :).

isp2952 05-16-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgremill (Post 452102)
Okay, I must admit that I have been a Wanderlodge admirer since I was a kid. When I was 5-6 we always vacationed from Louisiana to the sugar sands of the Florida Panhandle. I recall my dad admiring a "Dodge" motorhome parked next to us. We were in a 17 foot travel trailer that he bolted on a window A/C unit to the rear window. We packed 5 kids and mom and dad into a travel trailer that was meant to sleep 4 at most.

I am the youngest of 5 siblings, mom and dad are gone and 2 sisters have been lost to cancer. I now make my home 5 miles from the campground we made our first beach trip that I can remember. I am now 56 and a lot of water has passed under the bridge as they say.

What remains is my desire to go to the beach. We just recently upgraded from an Airstream to a gently used 2000 Wanderlodge Lxi and my family's first camping trip was to a state park 2 miles from our home. The campground from my childhood is still open and more popular than ever.

The Wanderlodge is a beautiful and well engineered machine. I think back to my first camping trips and have such great memories of family and meeting new friends. I know my dad is smiling down on me as I carry on the family tradition of camping and putting the stress of the week behind me as we pull into our designated site at the nearest state park.

I am exceedingly proud that my upgrade to a Wanderlodge brings with it the superbly engineered machine that my dad would have been proud to have owned. Here I am carrying out the family tradition and living out the dreams of my father.

Interested in what makes your Bluebird so special...

Chip Gremillion
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
2000 LXi 43

Chip, I see you kind of slid in and nobody really welcomed you with your first post. So Welcome to the Zoo, Group, Club, and especially the fun. I love your story, but sorry for your losses. I started out in a little 19' class C. The overhead bed was too small for me so the kids slept there. The only other "bed" was the dinette that was smaller than a twin. That was for me. My wife put a cooler between the driver and passenger seats, a foam pad on that and that was her bed. CRAZY! What was crazier we took a month long trip across the USA one summer and went over 8,000 miles. The kids were 12 and 8 and still talk about it to this day. So many memories:) I would go back in a second, but I dearly love my coach and this group. I'm sure you will too.

Crit Bliss 05-16-2019 08:50 AM

Hi Chip, same here. I live where my family used to camp for the summer. We started in a 1964 26' Airstream, 6 of us in total. Lots of my family now own airstreams and continue the tradition

Randy Dupree 05-16-2019 10:53 AM

The first camper my dad had was a tent trailer,we camped all over in it,even made the big trip to the Grand Canyon with it.
Then he bought a truck camper,a little tiny thing,for 6 people to sleep in.
We were little kids!
Then he got a bigger truck camper,i don't remember going with them anywhere in it,i guess i was working by then.
I was 5yo.
Just kidding!

Then he bought a class C,a real bag of you know what.
He took one trip in it and that was all he needed,my brother lived in it until it fell down around him.
Then he bought a P30 chassis something or other,he drove it on one trip and then he passed away.
Of course i had been tent camping and sleeping in my truck camping and fishing etc for years by then.
I did buy his big truck camper and Carol and i used it for a few years.
Good stuff,good memories.

badandy 05-16-2019 11:44 AM

My family never, ever, not once, camped in any way. I tent camped with friends and wheeling buddies and really liked it. My old 'Bird is my first motorhome and I get to apply all of my hobbies to make it, hopefully, better than new. I enjoy working on it as much as camping in it right now with hopes of more camping than working soon. It gets a lot of attention even though the paint is a bit ratty, which is good and bad sometimes!