Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Progressive EMS: any problem installing after transfer switch? (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34858)

cire 09-18-2019 05:00 PM

Progressive EMS: any problem installing after transfer switch?

Last year my voltage regulator on my Powertech generator failed. It took out one of my inverters ($$). I now want to install the EMS-50C after the transfer switch. Progressive Industries doesn’t recommend this because “...the EMS-50C doesn’t play well with a generator. Also the transfer switch is not protected from a surge.” A transfer switch is a LOT cheaper than an inverter.

Those of you who may have installed the EMS-50C after the transfer switch and have a Powertech generator: do you have problems with the EMS-50C?

One final question: Do you see a problem with installing the EMS-50C immediately before the 120 volt distribution panel instead of after the transfer switch. Only 3 wires are available there instead of four.

Eric Perplies
96’ PT-42
360-239-0724
Currently near Fort Wayne preparing for the annual migration south.

brhodes 09-18-2019 05:26 PM

Why not just install a Progressive transfer switch.
RV / Automatic Transfer Switches / PD52DCSD 240 VAC 50-Amp Automatic Surge Protected Transfer Switch – “The Silent ATS”

I would not install a surge protector differently than the manufacturer specifies as there is a difference related to the ground requirements for a generator and shore power.

gcyeaw 09-18-2019 05:29 PM

My progressive EMS-50 (installed after the transfer switch) did not like my old Kohler gen head. The remote would only display a 'communication error' code. It seemed to work, but no useful display. Progressive sent a new board, but it didn't help. After I changed to a new gen head from CGG, it worked, but showed a lower voltage than a high quality meter showed. If I recall it was showing 113 when the meter showed 119. Worked fine on shore power.

I sympathize with your gen issue, but the Progressive does not seem to be the right unit in this situation.

Dc2x4drvr 09-18-2019 05:33 PM

I have the Proggresive EMS installed between the xfer switch and shore power cable since 2015, no issues..in a 380 with the Powertech genny..

cire 09-18-2019 06:26 PM

Yes the EMS-50C work fine for me before the transfer switch for me as well. I installed it after the WOG group buy in 2007. It just doesn’t protect from generator errors.

Eric Perplies

Kiwi3 09-18-2019 07:00 PM

I couldn't find a source or data on the Progressive Research transfer switch, but here is the one from Technology Research.
Technology Research 4126000101 50 Amp Surge Guard Transfer Switch $231

I have to admit that I'm thinking of changing mine out just because I lost the generator voltage controller in AZ early this year and that cost me two rooftop AC units as well. So yeah having surge protection in the transfer switch would be nice.

Clembo 09-19-2019 05:12 PM

Hi Guys
I have the Progressive PD52DCSD 250v 50amp transfer switch in hand but haven’t had the time to install it yet. I’ll let you know next week how it works out. BB put a 30 amp one in mine when it was built.
Dan

brhodes 09-19-2019 08:17 PM

If you have a 12.5 or 15kw generator and a 50 amp power cord hard wired in, then I would bet a previous owner changed it to a lesser amperage transfer switch which would be very dangerous.

Clembo 09-19-2019 09:23 PM

Could have been a PO but it looks factory. Kind of undisturbed. Still works good but your right, very unsafe. I would advise members pull the cover and check the specs. It don’t take but a couple of minutes. Surprised me.
Dan

Dieselbird01 09-19-2019 10:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clembo (Post 464889)
Hi Guys
I have the Progressive PD52DCSD 250v 50amp transfer switch in hand but haven’t had the time to install it yet. I’ll let you know next week how it works out. BB put a 30 amp one in mine when it was built.
Dan

Quote:

Originally Posted by brhodes (Post 464904)
If you have a 12.5 or 15kw generator and a 50 amp power cord hard wired in, then I would bet a previous owner changed it to a lesser amperage transfer switch which would be very dangerous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clembo (Post 464906)
Could have been a PO but it looks factory. Kind of undisturbed. Still works good but your right, very unsafe. I would advise members pull the cover and check the specs. It don’t take but a couple of minutes. Surprised me.
Dan

My Todd PS-250 has 50 Amp contactors: