Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   'Bird Projects & Modifications (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Automation - Maybe with newer Birds? (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28996)

Kiwi3 07-11-2017 10:42 AM

Automation - Maybe with newer Birds?
 
I saw this for the 2014+ Tiffin RVs.
It is apparently a Raspberry Pi that plugs into the CANBUS and can operate the Tiffin SpiderNet. I'm not sure if there is a connection to the coach controls on the newer Birds. I don't have a Bird with the newer solid state control system so there is no way for me to even begin to prototype this (Nope, wife will not let me buy another coach "just to try something"). I remember seeing something in the factory tour video on the solid state system, I'm not sure what year that was put in, but even without CANBUS a Raspberry Pi with an Arduno could operate the relays to control bus systems. The hard part would be the Android Application Programming that these guys have done with their CoachProxy system. It is a starting point if anyone wants to look into it.

https://coachproxy.com/

Jim Brookshire 07-11-2017 01:43 PM

Don't think any of that would apply to any Birds but the 450's. All the rest are relay systems except for engine and transmission.

badandy 07-13-2017 04:35 PM

MWuhahahahaaaaaa. I am doing something like this (only better) on my PT35. I'm using a Pi as the brain, I designed the I/O board for it, and it's running a home automation server (openhab for the moment). The water heater, block heater, A/Cs, heaters, generator, inverter, charger, tanks, and several other things are all connected via RS485, CAN, and wireless depending where it is.

You can monitor and control from any phone as long as the bus has a cell signal or wifi, too :)

Tim M. 12-08-2017 08:28 PM

Any more info on the raspberry pi system? I've become interested in fabri-cobbleing something together for my coach. Not sure where to start the process though. Gonna be a little bit of a learning curve (OK a lot). I know Bruce, you have referenced the raspberry pi system on numerous occasions.

I do know, whatever I do, I don't want to be dependent on the Inter-Webs to get it done. Setting up a local wifi to get everything to talk to each other is ok.

Looking for some ideas for winter projects. I guess I'll have to see what the AliExpress has to offer.

badandy 12-08-2017 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim M. (Post 399921)
Any more info on the raspberry pi system? I've become interested in fabri-cobbleing something together for my coach. Not sure where to start the process though. Gonna be a little bit of a learning curve (OK a lot). I know Bruce, you have referenced the raspberry pi system on numerous occasions.

I do know, whatever I do, I don't want to be dependent on the Inter-Webs to get it done. Setting up a local wifi to get everything to talk to each other is ok.

Looking for some ideas for winter projects. I guess I'll have to see what the AliExpress has to offer.


Start off my making a list of what you want to control. For me, I did't care too much about turning lights on and off from my phone, that kind of thing. I want to schedule things and have more data available such as charging/usage/gen data, inverter data, tank levels, temps, etc. All of the factory warning systems are also integrated, it was almost too easy since it's all right there.


How techy are you? Not much of this stuff is plug and play, but some things aren't too bad. It depends what you're trying to accomplish.

Tim M. 12-08-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badandy (Post 399923)
Start off my making a list of what you want to control. For me, I did't care too much about turning lights on and off from my phone, that kind of thing. I want to schedule things and have more data available such as charging/usage/gen data, inverter data, tank levels, temps, etc. All of the factory warning systems are also integrated, it was almost too easy since it's all right there.


How techy are you? Not much of this stuff is plug and play, but some things aren't too bad. It depends what you're trying to accomplish.

I've just started thinking about getting the coach connected. Haven't made any sort of list, primarily cause I wasn't sure what all is possible without spending crazy money. But I'm seeing there is a lot that can be accomplished with with a few reasonably priced components. I just haven't had too much time to find others that have already gone through the process. I figure its a whole lot easier to build off of someone else's design.

As for techy, I've done some work with simple pc boards. It's been a few years though. I do mostly big electrical stuff now, commercial (install & service) dish machines 240 & 480. Tie in the chemical controllers for them, which is a few simple step down transformers to 24 vac.

Been contemplating getting my son (11 yo) an arduino kit so we can play around with it and we can build some proficiency with some simple circuits.

badandy 12-09-2017 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim M. (Post 399929)
I've just started thinking about getting the coach connected. Haven't made any sort of list, primarily cause I wasn't sure what all is possible without spending crazy money. But I'm seeing there is a lot that can be accomplished with with a few reasonably priced components. I just haven't had too much time to find others that have already gone through the process. I figure its a whole lot easier to build off of someone else's design.

As for techy, I've done some work with simple pc boards. It's been a few years though. I do mostly big electrical stuff now, commercial (install & service) dish machines 240 & 480. Tie in the chemical controllers for them, which is a few simple step down transformers to 24 vac.

Been contemplating getting my son (11 yo) an arduino kit so we can play around with it and we can build some proficiency with some simple circuits.


Arduinos are great for a lot of projects, but I think you'll find that you need more horsepower to run a full automation setup. The PI is inexpensive and does way way more in terms of communication and CPU power, but its I/O is lacking. That's what I made a PCB that the PI plugs into - lots of I/O. If you decide to make a Pi you can have a board as I have many extras I'll never use. But you have to solder all the surface mount stuff on it, my eyes are not up for it right now.


You can control things using various wireless methods - xbee, bluetooth, wifi, etc. I've chosen to use a mix of wired and wifi things.

Tim M. 12-09-2017 01:08 AM

I would like to have some battery "power management" monitoring (batteries (house & chassis) incoming land power & generator). Would also like to tie in alll the tank levels. Can that be accomplished using the existing tank probes or do I need something more complex.

I would prefer to run on a mixture of controls, primarily Bluetooth (iPhone) or touchscreen set up. With the possibility of some wifi options though too.

Was going to order a Silverleaf system at some point, I would like to have it running on a tablet vs laptop.

badandy 12-09-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim M. (Post 399946)
I would like to have some battery "power management" monitoring (batteries (house & chassis) incoming land power & generator). Would also like to tie in alll the tank levels. Can that be accomplished using the existing tank probes or do I need something more complex.

I would prefer to run on a mixture of controls, primarily Bluetooth (iPhone) or touchscreen set up. With the possibility of some wifi options though too.

Was going to order a Silverleaf system at some point, I would like to have it running on a tablet vs laptop.


For battery/power management you're going to have to DIY it. There's nothing out there that will do it. For my setup I have built several remote devices that have their own little CPU and gather up sensor data and send it back to the main control that has the touch screen attached. an Arduino, Pi Zero, ESP8266, these are usually the devices of choice.


The existing tank probes can be used without any trouble. I decided to build capacitive sensors for my tanks, the black tank was never right and it will be so much more accurate in the fresh water tank that I can measure consumption.

Mallie Lennon 12-09-2017 10:43 AM

sound like some interesting project being kicked around.
I just learned of an interesting new dometic AC thermostat, Bluetooth. Can work them off your phone. If they would just include WiFi, you could monitor and adjust bus temps from anywhere, and it would send notice/e mails if temps get out of set range. Like a animal on the bus where you are out,, could quickly become overheated if elect is lost.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.