Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   4060 allison jake brake downshift reprogram (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29395)

Randy Dupree 08-25-2017 10:42 PM

4060 allison jake brake downshift reprogram

his week 3 of us at the rally had our transmissions re-programed to down shift into 5th instead of 4th.
All 3 of us love the new program,i highly recommend this mod.

Kev 08-25-2017 11:37 PM

Did you do the mod yourselves or did it require a visit to an Allison shop?

Dave Stokes 08-25-2017 11:49 PM

I've been wanting to do this. Would love to hear the details. How long did the reprogram take?

b1gsur 08-26-2017 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Dupree (Post 389819)
his week 3 of us at the rally had our transmissions re-programed to down shift into 5th instead of 4th.
All 3 of us love the new program,i highly recommend this mod.

Nobody else at the rally new about this!!! Was it a secret?

Would have done it too.

jcs707 08-26-2017 07:36 AM

I'll be at George Morris's in a few weeks, I was thinking about getting this done. I hear he can do this in his sleep ...

Flyfisher 08-26-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

I'll be at George Morris's in a few weeks, I was thinking about getting this done. I hear he can do this in his sleep ...
George can't change what Allison calls the "preselect", this is a software change in the transmission control module. You will need to go to an Allison service shop such as WW Williams on Moreland Ave on the south side of Atlanta. Great shop, I have personal experience with them from an I-75 roadside failure last July 4th weekend.

George can do this in his sleep though, the Jake brake circuit modification on the BB side of the bus to give you an additional mode of operation, which combined with the 5th gear preselect is an awesome combination!

Randy Dupree 08-26-2017 09:31 AM

Kev,anything to do with computers is magic to me,no,we had it done.

Dan,i guess you did not see the Allison service truck?
We did ask a few other guys and they declined,i did not see you that morning or we would have asked.

Cost was $148 each.
JIm Brookshire
Kip
Myself all had it done,20 minute job.

On long down grades its a pleasure to use,it shifts to 5th and its enough braking power to maintain the speed limit but does not let the speed build and build.

Getting off the freeway ramp is good too.

I never did like that abrupt downshift to 4th,now its an easy downshift and if you need more you simply push the shift button to 4th.
I would never use the Jake getting off the freeway until my speed was way down,same thing on a long down grade,4th was too much of a down shift,but 5th is just right.
Worth the money to me.

Randy Dupree 08-26-2017 09:33 AM

Ohh,Jim went to the shop for his work,then i called the shop and they sent the tech over to do mine and Kips,same charge,$148 each.

Rick 08-26-2017 09:46 AM

[QUOTE=jcs707;389833]I'll be at George Morris's in a few weeks, I was thinking about getting this done. I hear he can do this in his sleep ...[/QUOTE
Already covered.

Randy Dupree 08-26-2017 09:46 AM

Hahaa! just reread Dans post,he asked if it was a secret?

80 Birds in one place? NO secrets!