Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Modified sine wave inverter (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35095)

Dennis and Joan 10-22-2019 11:36 AM

Modified sine wave inverter

1 Attachment(s)
During my Dometic replacement using a Flike DVM I was checking to determine if the outlet for the Dometic was on the inverter circuit. The outlet is on the inverter circuit, unplugged I was only reading 108 volts AC.

The enclosed PDF shows the modified sine waveform and the need for a RMS voltmeter for an accurate measurement. I am planning a dedicated pure sine wave inverter for the residential refrigerator. There is a 12 volt circuit for the Dometic I will use.

If I ever have to replace the Trace inverter, I will go with a pure sine wave unit.

"They say" modified sine wave inverters are OK to use with refrigerators, microwaves, etc. but use 20% more power because of inefficiencies.

I cannot believe that is a good thing long term.

Bill Pape 10-22-2019 11:44 AM

Modified not good for motors, cooling compressors, microwaves.
OK for heaters, & most phone, computer chargers

isp2952 10-22-2019 12:47 PM

Bite the bullet and get a pure sign wave inverter and save money in the long run. Who knows what potential damage is being done while you wait for your old Trace to give it up.

Dennis and Joan 10-22-2019 02:47 PM

Bill,
Could you please provide details concerning your comment "not good for motors, cooling compressors, microwaves"? I would like to understand the issue.
I do not want to start tire/battery/other opinion problems (or argue with you), but from the trace manual and other sources "they say" its OK.
Thanks
Dennis

racin41bb 10-22-2019 03:23 PM

Do the newer Dometic's have a compressor or a resistive heater like the older models (rm2820, etc)?

Bill

Dennis and Joan 10-22-2019 05:36 PM

Jim,
I agree, but not in the middle of the fridge replacement. I did a quick search and found coke/pepsi as in: Xantrex Freedom 3012 or Magnum Hybrid 3012?
I really need to finish the fridge before inverter replacement.
So, I am going to wire/mount the receptacle from the panel (AC/inverter).
I have ordered a 1000W/2000W inverter using the 12 volts for the Dometic as a backup/primary until I scrap the trace. Now sooner than later.

Thanks for the suggestion

Dennis

Kiwi3 10-22-2019 07:17 PM

Here is a blog post: Pure Sine Wave vs. Modified Sine Wave Inverters – What’s the Difference?

Bill Pape 10-22-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis and Joan (Post 467851)
Bill,
Could you please provide details concerning your comment "not good for motors, cooling compressors, microwaves"? I would like to understand the issue.
I do not want to start tire/battery/other opinion problems (or argue with you), but from the trace manual and other sources "they say" its OK.
Thanks
Dennis

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi3 (Post 467863)

Thanks Bruce, Better than I can explain

Dave Stokes 10-22-2019 09:16 PM

Ninja blenders DO NOT like modified sine wave. just sayin...

Nancy Brookshire 10-22-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Stokes (Post 467872)
Ninja blenders DO NOT like modified sine wave. just sayin...

Yes, very sad for you.....they don’t like alarm clocks or coffeemakers either.