Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Fuel delivery the. (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31561)

Eagle1 06-12-2018 10:05 PM

Fuel delivery the.

Has anyone had this fuel issue?

Seams that air is getting into the system, I believe it’s from the racor filter unit.

After I shut engine down , the Coach will not start from lack of fuel.
To get it started I must remove the screw on filter and fill with fuel.

I also have been going through filters Which did help.
I have purchached more racor filters but noticed they are 2M. Could this be restricting fuel? Should i try temporarily removing filter and see if there is a difference?

The PO told me it’s best to operate with over a half tank of fuel. My problem seams to get worse with less than half - fuel in the tank..

I have been unable to locate a new 900 racor filter or any parts.
E bay has one but does not have the heater or water sencor.
What would be a replacement for this system?

The raco filter shows vacuumed pressure when engine is off and fuel lines removed from filter. I suspect it is not accurate .

Is there a way I can access the fuel line going into the tank without removing ?
I have good reason to believe that my tank has debris/ rust.

Thank you for any help!

Marty

f.wernlein 06-13-2018 08:30 AM

Racor filters for your 900 series unit are available in 30 micron at NAPA (#FIL3797) and West Marine (Racor #2040N30). 30M is the size to use for your initial filter IMO. 2 M is too restrictive. Filters come with new gasket/o-ring for the Racor lid.

Typically your engine mounted spin on final filter is 2 micron. You want to stay with a 2 micron as your final filter. If you do a # cross reference online you can find many brands...WIX, Baldwin, Fram...available at most auto/truck stores.

Both above can be found online in case lots at good prices over street retail.

I have a FC with the CAT3208...so can't offer much support as to other issue. It does sound that your losing prime...likely a fuel line leak or perhaps be a bad check valve somewhere in the fuel line system.

Bill Pape 06-13-2018 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle1 (Post 419403)
Has anyone had this fuel issue?

Seams that air is getting into the system, I believe it’s from the racor filter unit.

After I shut engine down , the Coach will not start from lack of fuel.
To get it started I must remove the screw on filter and fill with fuel.

I also have been going through filters Which did help.
I have purchached more racor filters but noticed they are 2M. Could this be restricting fuel? Should i try temporarily removing filter and see if there is a difference?

The PO told me it’s best to operate with over a half tank of fuel. My problem seams to get worse with less than half - fuel in the tank..

I have been unable to locate a new 900 racor filter or any parts.
E bay has one but does not have the heater or water sencor.
What would be a replacement for this system?

The raco filter shows vacuumed pressure when engine is off and fuel lines removed from filter. I suspect it is not accurate .

Is there a way I can access the fuel line going into the tank without removing ?
I have good reason to believe that my tank has debris/ rust.

Thank you for any help!

Marty

Novi NAPA will find the filters & they make all the hydraulic or other special hoses. Filters are always cheaper online if you can wait. Michigan CAT can help but bring a high dollar credit card, Fleetpride is in New Hudson

Randy Dupree 06-13-2018 08:58 AM

Racor stuff is not hard to find,good parts guys are hard to find.
But,a search here on wog would turn up many reports of the racor filter guage sucking air.
plug the 1/4'' copper line back at the racor and see if that helps.
OK,don't plug the line,plug where the line attaches to the racor.

Eagle1 06-13-2018 09:33 AM

Thank you,
I will try that later today.

Eagle1 07-09-2018 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fuel problem has gotten worse.

I plugged the racor Gage at the filter.
Changed to 30 m filters

Removed racor filter and replaced all gaskets and ball.
Inlet line was hard to blow but was able to hear bubbling in fuel tank.

Attached another line to inlet fuel line and was able to Siphon fuel at a good rate. Although it was hard to suck to start Siphon.
Check valve on inlet of racor seamed hard to blow through. And would not let me blow back to the tank.

With the racor all cleaned up the inlet connection were removed and resealed.
I noticed a few air bubbles coming from the cyclone area inside the filter clear bowl.
But still,
highway speeds for about an hour before losing power.
When at low rpm or at intersections bus will stall.

When stalled we would remove spin on filter and fill with fuel.
Bus would run and go for another hour as long as the rpm were higher or over 35 mph.

The good news

badandy 07-09-2018 07:49 PM

You can get into the fuel tank sending unit/pickup from the top of the tank through the kitchen floor if need be. It's a copper line and my generator line was plugged up pretty good, engine line was free. You might try disconnecting the line from the top of the tank and at the racor and blowing through it to see if it's clear or not. It's a pretty straight shot on my bus, and I was able to use a solid conductor copper ground wire (14ga) to poke the genny line clear.

The 2 micron filter was way too small, so running the 30 is a good idea. Throwing away the Racor is a better idea, but you probably won't hear that from anyone else. After getting mine all apart I decided a $15 spin-on filter would be better in every way and I haven't regretted yet.

Is your Racor gauge registering anything? Why did you block it off?

rshrimp 07-09-2018 08:00 PM

BadAndy. I'm with you on the Racor! Seems there are WAY to many "Problems with Racor " threads on here.

Bill Pape 07-09-2018 08:18 PM

air bubble in the racor bowl is not good,
check the line from the frame or bulk head to the racor,
insert clear tubing with barbs to see if the air bubbles are before the racor

dennis hight 07-09-2018 08:20 PM

Martin if you are seeing air bubbles you have a air leak those air bubbles are getting into your secondary filter and loosing prime, have you tried the racor store on line ? You could possibly buy a reseal kit from them or buy a water separator spin on they are easier to change. Just my thoughts good luck