Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Under The Awning (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   What did you do with your Bus today (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20520)

Dave Stokes 06-07-2015 10:15 PM

Today I decided to finally get around to fixing the Aqua Hot. I new I had a coolant leak somewhere since everytime I turned it on coolant would leak through the hole where the exhuast pipe exits the bottom of the bird. It leaked so bad the last time I used it it took 2.5 gallons of coolant to refill the tank. After an exhaustive search I finally found the leak. A faulty radiator cap. Once pressure built up, the coolant would just leak around the gasket, flow down around the tank and run out the exhaust port. I hope the local auto parts store carries a 13 lbs cap. If not, I'll have to order a $25 cap from Aqua Hot. Since I have no idea when, or if, any of the previous POs ever replaced the fuel nozzle, I may order one of those as well and replace it too.

sailor7cs 06-08-2015 12:00 AM

David,
Roger Berke is a member of WOG and he is an Aqua Hot repair expert, his web site is;
http://rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/
You might want to PM him and get the WOG discount for parts for the AH... Change nozzle and fuel filter annually and it will work very well for you...
HTH

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Stokes (Post 300189)
Today I decided to finally get around to fixing the Aqua Hot. I new I had a coolant leak somewhere since everytime I turned it on coolant would leak through the hole where the exhuast pipe exits the bottom of the bird. It leaked so bad the last time I used it it took 2.5 gallons of coolant to refill the tank. After an exhaustive search I finally found the leak. A faulty radiator cap. Once pressure built up, the coolant would just leak around the gasket, flow down around the tank and run out the exhaust port. I hope the local auto parts store carries a 13 lbs cap. If not, I'll have to order a $25 cap from Aqua Hot. Since I have no idea when, or if, any of the previous POs ever replaced the fuel nozzle, I may order one of those as well and replace it too.

turnkey 06-08-2015 09:06 AM

Had the same problem recently. Took the cap to Napa and they were able to cross reference and had the cap in stock. Also, check the hose to the expansion tank and make sure it is tight on both ends.

GregBryantSr 06-09-2015 09:46 AM

I am working hard on my Bird today!
Drove it all the way to Camping World, 5 miles!!!
There "I" am doing a Pressure test, replacing the headlights, replacing the driver seatbelt receiver, loading a new Splendide W/D and getting the Dash A/C checked for leaks.
I suspect the leak is probably at the connectors where the PO converted it to the R134A.
Hope I am not too tired after "I" do all this!!
Still getting ready for the trip to CA, OR and PM!

dackerman 06-10-2015 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally installed lights in the Bird Barn. It doesn't look very bright in the picture and although not like day light, it is bright enough. I wired it with plugs so it's easy to add more lights.

78bbird 06-10-2015 03:28 PM

78BB: working on removing the a/c compressor, drained the coolant, replaced the switch & outlets from the rear to bath room so far, back at it for now!

Ragbag64 06-10-2015 10:04 PM

I am working on the moen in the shower, still no water on the hot side. Replace the brass cartridge, no signs of missing o rings, exposed the valve behind the range disconnected supply line to make sure of flow having trouble with hot side looks like it has had some heat, the flare nut has changed colors. If no clog I am going back to the water heater and check there!!

Al_159 06-10-2015 10:46 PM

I finished up replacing the Atwood water heater. The old unit sprung a leak after the 900-mile trip from Florida. It also had lots of scale built up inside the tank. It was a bit a puzzle figuring out which parts of the rear closet to remove to open the way for its removal but actually pretty clever on the designer's part, now that I know. The toughest challenge was contorting my body to make all the connections in the cramped space filled with the coach's electrical center, which the water heater shares in the corner of the closet. Homey/Lowe's/AutoZone had all the peripheral parts required. My medicine chest provided the ibuprofen, and the hot shower that followed was awesome.

mpierce 06-10-2015 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al_159 (Post 300555)
I finished up replacing the Atwood water heater. The old unit sprung a leak after the 900-mile trip from Florida. It also had lots of scale built up inside the tank. It was a bit a puzzle figuring out which parts of the rear closet to remove to open the way for its removal but actually pretty clever on the designer's part, now that I know. The toughest challenge was contorting my body to make all the connections in the cramped space filled with the coach's electrical center, which the water heater shares in the corner of the closet. Homey/Lowe's/AutoZone had all the peripheral parts required. My medicine chest provided the ibuprofen, and the hot shower that followed was awesome.

Did you take pics?

DTW1086@cox.net 06-10-2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragbag64 (Post 300545)
I am working on the moen in the shower, still no water on the hot side. Replace the brass cartridge, no signs of missing o rings, exposed the valve behind the range disconnected supply line to make sure of flow having trouble with hot side looks like it has had some heat, the flare nut has changed colors. If no clog I am going back to the water heater and check there!!

James.
Did you get the balancing spool out of that Moen valve out and free?? Ahis is a common problem with these valves and you have to free it up to get it to work right. Do a search on Moen balancing spool. Sedveral threads on this.