Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Under The Awning (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   What did you do with your Bus today (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20520)

Birdman9096 02-10-2020 12:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Last week I repaired my broken 9-1/2 feet driver’s side window awning. Awhile back, I opened the window awning and the spring snapped. So I called ZipDee for a spring replacement The spring was $140, including shipping. First step was to carefully remove all the rivets tying the fabric to the tube. After doing that, I slid out the tube. Then I removed the end cap on the tube connected to spring. Next, I Installed the new spring and riveted the new end cap back on the tube. After that, I slid the tube back in awning, lined it up with the original fabric holes, and riveted them back together. I followed the instructions from ZipDee on winding up the spring. It was 7 turns plus 1 turn per foot of the tube. You will need 2 people for this part of the job. One person on a ladder holding up the tube while the other person is winding up the spring with the end call arm. 16 turns later, and awning extends and retracts like new.

Attachment 66242 Attachment 66243

Attachment 66244 Attachment 66245

chiplamb 02-10-2020 05:20 PM

For the record, that was the one, they are not male/female but they go 180 degrees from each other to plug into one another. Neat connector, good for 120V disconnects such as AC units, though putting stranded copper in probably not what they were designed for, getting the existing wiring into it was a bear.

Good Ole Bird 02-10-2020 09:34 PM

MaybeIi should start posting in this thread...

I've done a ton of things to our brand new Bird...

badandy 02-10-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Ole Bird (Post 476996)
MaybeIi should start posting in this thread...

I've done a ton of things to our brand new Bird...

Go start a new thread and show us what you're doing.

Big Al 02-11-2020 09:27 AM

Preparing for our up coming trip. Put in two new engine batteries after one of them tested bad.
Got down on my hands and knees :eek::eek: and cleaned the hardwood flooring.

gcyeaw 02-11-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdman9096 (Post 476956)
Last week I repaired my broken 9-1/2 feet driver’s side window awning. Awhile back, I opened the window awning and the spring snapped. So I called ZipDee for a spring replacement The spring was $140, including shipping. First step was to carefully remove all the rivets tying the fabric to the tube. After doing that, I slid out the tube. Then I removed the end cap on the tube connected to spring. Next, I Installed the new spring and riveted the new end cap back on the tube. After that, I slid the tube back in awning, lined it up with the original fabric holes, and riveted them back together. I followed the instructions from ZipDee on winding up the spring. It was 7 turns plus 1 turn per foot of the tube. You will need 2 people for this part of the job. One person on a ladder holding up the tube while the other person is winding up the spring with the end call arm. 16 turns later, and awning extends and retracts like new.

Attachment 66242 Attachment 66243

Attachment 66244 Attachment 66245

Kent,
You don't need to remove the tube from the fabric. I have done a couple of the big ones, jist pull out the old spring and insert the new one. Just have to play a little to get the end past the rivets holding the fabric.

Zog 02-16-2020 12:14 AM

Took out the stateroom fluorescent lamps leaving the bases. Put in LED strip lights right on the fixtures. Easy fix to totally inoperative stateroom lighting.

Angrybird 02-26-2020 07:59 PM

Living room TV upgrade

3 Attachment(s)
My dilemma was how do I put a 40 in TV in the overhead above the front window. Other than a major remodel, I came up with this solution. I mounted the TV in front of one of the side windows. I can watch it just about anywhere in the kitchen or living room. Use a 3/4 inch piece of wood mounted between the window frame with brackets. The window is still usable above the TV and I left a little gap on both sides so the LED still show through. With the original TV was in the overhead I'm going to turn that into a compartment with tinted plexiglass doors...

Kiwi3 02-26-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiplamb (Post 476969)
For the record, that was the one, they are not male/female but they go 180 degrees from each other to plug into one another. Neat connector, good for 120V disconnects such as AC units, though putting stranded copper in probably not what they were designed for, getting the existing wiring into it was a bear.

If you have stranded copper you could put Wire Ferrules on them to make the connection cleaner.

chiplamb 02-26-2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi3 (Post 478665)
If you have stranded copper you could put Wire Ferrules on them to make the connection cleaner.

Those wouldn't have worked, the wires had to be bent around a very tight bend inside the connector. Bare 12/14 AWG solid copper or fight the stranded as I did, it worked in the end.