Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Generators (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Kohler Perkins - fan direction (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3127)

GPSGary 05-21-2009 04:34 PM

Kohler Perkins - fan direction

I was just investigating a minor coolant leak and accidentally discovered that the fan on the 12.5kva K-P is drawing air IN through the door grate.

I recently pulled the whole radiator/fan assembly apart to replace all the hoses and have the radiator rebuilt.

I thought I put the fan back correctly but did I reverse it by accident? I can see an argument for drawing fresh air in but I can also see an argument for blowing hot air out.

Is the fan supposed to be blowing IN or OUT?

Regards,

hturner 12 05-21-2009 04:48 PM

Gary
It sounds like we are both trying to get our Perkins to run right

GPSGary 05-21-2009 04:59 PM

Kohler Perkins - fan direction

I rebuilt the starter, changed the oil and filter, changed the fuel filter and had the radiator rebuilt and changed all the hoses.

It starts every time and runs pretty well but "Which way should the fan be blowing?"

Regards,

hturner 12 05-21-2009 05:02 PM

Gary
I will be waiting to that question on mine it blows out

Randy Dupree 05-21-2009 05:41 PM

Gary,i have seen FCs blow out,and some suck in.
i don't know if BB changed some or what.
Hugh,the PTs with the side Radiators all blow out,AFAIK

GPSGary 05-21-2009 06:22 PM

Kohler Perkins - fan direction - now I did it

Based on Randy's observation that some fans blow either way, I decided to proceed with my "minor leak".

I put a pint of Alumiseal in the radiator per instructions. Started the generator just fine. Ran nice for 2-3 minutes and then started a really bad knock and smoking exhaust.

I'm going to pull out all my hair and then the valve cover.

Any words of wisdom other than "Maybe you shouldn't have done that".

Regards,

fxdwg 05-21-2009 06:28 PM

Gary,
The alumaseal shouldn't have anything to do with the knocking/smoking. The original leak may have, but not the alumaseal. I'd probably pull the valve cover to see if you lost a valve.

GPSGary 05-21-2009 06:55 PM

Kohler Perkins - fan direction - now I did it

Pulled the valve cover off. Nothing bad on first inspection. Jogged the motor with the starter. All valves appear OK. No smoke, no excess oil.

Tried restarting the motor. It fires very easily and will run without noise until it reaches operating speed. No smoke either until full RPM. As soon as it reaches full RPM I get the nasty knock and smoke.

Odd ????

Regards,

hturner 12 05-21-2009 07:06 PM

Gary
What color smoke? Have you checked your coolant level after seeing the smoke? Maybe blown head gasket at idle not enough to push the smoke out, but high operation speed more pressure. Is a loud thud or a a higher pitch sound. What is the oil pressure? Depending on the type of noise will let you know if is piston slap, possible bearing. It would be interesting to see the pressure doing a pressure check. Did you say you were thinking about a new genie?

gcyeaw 05-21-2009 07:16 PM

My perkins pulls the air in through the vent. It also knocks loudly when up to speed. Actually it is more of a rattle than a steady even knock. I do not have a smoke problem, however. I am wondering if it is a faulty injector or injector pump timing. All the injectors are working, but may not be working properly.