Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   'Bird Projects & Modifications (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   1996 engine door mod and LED rear lights (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33412)

susanmarycamilleri 03-07-2019 06:12 PM

1996 engine door mod and LED rear lights

4 Attachment(s)
After doing the rear bumper repair I decided to change the engine door and install LED stop, turn, tail and reverse lights. I started by removing the engine door, and cutting out the recesses for the Volvo tail lights. The Volvo tail light plastic is in good shape, not oxidized, but the light bulbs seem to have a mind of their own. I spent a few hours cleaning contacts, playing bulbs, get them working, put it back together, and some of them wouldn't work.

Randy Dupree 03-07-2019 06:17 PM

What now?
Glass over the holes?
Bend some stainless over the holes?

LEDs are surely the way to go,the Volvos look good,but they do have a mind of their own.

susanmarycamilleri 03-07-2019 06:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Next I took a crazy carpet and covered the hole, then glassed in the hole from the back. I read online that fibreglass doesn' stick to crazy carpets. That was true, but they did not support the new fibreglass as well as I would have liked. That just ment there would be more finishing work. I glassed the back then removed the forms. Then tons of sanding.

susanmarycamilleri 03-07-2019 06:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Slowly getting there. The fibreglass on the engine door is 3/8" thick, lots and lots of layers of glass. They used a chop gun I suspect, I don' have one of those.
Anyway much filling and sanding, almost there. What I didn't realise is the engine door is not a constant taper top to bottom. It flares more from the turn signal lights to the bottom of the door. The things you discover after you cut up your door...
I am going to add more layers to the fibreglass on the back of the door. I bought the supplies, and they will not keep, might as well make it as rigid as possible.

rrueckwald 03-07-2019 09:14 PM

Wow, major job. Are you going to hinge the engine door (or have you already done that?) like one of our members here? ...just thinkin' you need something to do....

susanmarycamilleri 03-07-2019 09:40 PM

Ron

Pot,....this is Kettle, radio check, over....

Leaving the door mount the way it is. I did discover that the pivot mounts on the bottom corners of the door were loose. They are just glassed in, after 23 years the bondo holding them let go, so like the upper catches I have bolted them in place.

rrueckwald 03-08-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanmarycamilleri (Post 444805)
Ron

Pot,....this is Kettle, radio check, over....

Leaving the door mount the way it is. I did discover that the pivot mounts on the bottom corners of the door were loose. They are just glassed in, after 23 years the bondo holding them let go, so like the upper catches I have bolted them in place.

Ha, ha.

I liked the left side hinge mod, though. A lot of work.

I guess 23 years for bondo is pretty good. Something to check on others.

speeddixon 03-08-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanmarycamilleri (Post 444778)
After doing the rear bumper repair I decided to change the engine door and install LED stop, turn, tail and reverse lights. I started by removing the engine door, and cutting out the recesses for the Volvo tail lights. The Volvo tail light plastic is in good shape, not oxidized, but the light bulbs seem to have a mind of their own. I spent a few hours cleaning contacts, playing bulbs, get them working, put it back together, and some of them wouldn't work.

I am having the same thought. You beat me too it. Great job!!! What LEDs are you going to use?

susanmarycamilleri 03-08-2019 12:08 PM

I ordered 6" oval LED lights. Have not received them yet. They are surface mount.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/6-Oval-6-Red...9cEY7g&vxp=mtr

like these. I ordered amber for the turn, clear for back up, and the clear/red for running/brake lights. Ordered 22 in all. Might not use them all though.

susanmarycamilleri 03-08-2019 09:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Added a bunch of layers to the fibreglass. Have it as thick as the original thickness now. It is ready for primer and paint.