Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Several questions about an FC (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34946)

Captain Fred 09-29-2019 07:26 PM

Several questions about an FC

Ok, had the weekend off so had enough time to really look at some things.
1. Water sys.
Filled tank, turned on pump, bled sys, turned on cb for water htr, hour later no Hot Water. Solution, operator error, switch on side of bed not on.
2. Water smells terrible.
Will try a sanitizer to purify sys.
3. 8 kw Onan
Will start right up and quit. If momentary energize fuel pump/ shut down solenoid engine after starting will then stay running after disconnect jumper wire, no problems.
Tried eliminating overheat and oil pressure shut down switches, no change.
There are 2 rocker switches in the panel on the genset labeled DC control and DC charging.
DC control has been eliminated, no wires connected, tested switch, shorted to on position.
DC charging will cause starter to engage only if engine is already running otherwise does nothing. Engine will then not shut down even if fuel pump and shut down solenoid are disconnected electrically.
Disconnecting wires from start switch @ solenoid will kill engine

Rick 09-29-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Fred (Post 465883)
Ok, had the weekend off so had enough time to really look at some things.
1. Water sys.
Filled tank, turned on pump, bled sys, turned on cb for water htr, hour later no Hot Water. Solution, operator error, switch on side of bed not on.
2. Water smells terrible.
Will try a sanitizer to purify sys.
3. 8 kw Onan
Will start right up and quit. If momentary energize fuel pump/ shut down solenoid engine after starting will then stay running after disconnect jumper wire, no problems.
Tried eliminating overheat and oil pressure shut down switches, no change.
There are 2 rocker switches in the panel on the genset labeled DC control and DC charging.
DC control has been eliminated, no wires connected, tested switch, shorted to on position.
DC charging will cause starter to engage only if engine is already running otherwise does nothing. Engine will then not shut down even if fuel pump and shut down solenoid are disconnected electrically.
Disconnecting wires from start switch @ solenoid will kill engine

I cant find a question in there. Is there one?

Captain Fred 09-30-2019 04:04 AM

What are the 2 switches supposed to do ?

Bill Pape 09-30-2019 06:22 AM

if you are talking about the two red switches labeled, ON/Off.??
They are circuit breakers, unreliable and intermittent, get new from Onan or
replace them with automotive blade fuses.

Crit Bliss 09-30-2019 07:21 AM

Bill, haven't you late model FC guys moved the control box off of the top of the generator engine and attached it to the ceiling of the compartment?

Bill Pape 09-30-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crit Bliss (Post 465909)
Bill, haven't you late model FC guys moved the control box off of the top of the generator engine and attached it to the ceiling of the compartment?

Yep it shakes, but I have not moved the control box, although some have.
I did a lot of fix'in on this little 8K, pulled it three times :mad::mad:,
we now have come to an agreement, it puts out power, purrrrs away,
we ignore each other and it runs great, I leave the hammers & sawzall in the tool box. ;);):):):)

Captain Fred 09-30-2019 10:37 AM

I plan to move the control box to the ceiling after any issues are resolved.
The issues with the two red switches are that the one labeled DC Control has had the wiring removed and I have no idea which wires they were as there are no loose wires in the box.
If the one marked DC Charging is turned on it will cause the starter to engage after the engine is running so I hesitate to replace it with a fuse.
The engine will start right up but then die almost immediately unless I put 12v to the shut down relay/ fuel pump momentarily. The engine will continue to run fine after that 12v is removed until it is shut down normally.
I haven't checked the 12v charging sys yet as I removed the radiator expansion tank for repair. Should have that back in a day or 2 and will test that then.

Bill Pape 09-30-2019 11:10 AM

Sounds like an expert wiring butcher went to work.
I think your questions do not have answers, but there is hope.
Most all the wires are white, but each wire is printed, every wire needs to be followed, as per the schematic. no easy way out.
There are several threads on the 8.K Onan wiring issues, including the connectors on the rear, with overloaded burnt pins.