Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   M380 (Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Defective Head on Cummins ISL Engine (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4156)

birdbrain 09-22-2009 09:40 AM

Defective Head on Cummins ISL Engine

Hello all,

We just had an unusual problem with our 400hp Cummins ISL on the M380. The engine started making a "ticking" noise about a week ago. At first, you could barely hear it. We made a nonstop drive from Murphy, NC to Columbia, MO Saturday night. Once we made it to Columbia (about 650 miles) the tick was considerably louder. We found a Cummins repair center in Columbia (I-70 exit 133) and they just determined that the head gasket was blown. Upon closer inspection, they determined that the head had a manufacturing defect and would have to be replaced. The "good" news is that Cummins is warranting the repair!

In discussion with the repair center, they thought it was interesting that the coach managed to go 70,000 miles in our tender loving care :D before having trouble.

For those of you with this engine, be careful as you approach this mileage. if you hear a ticking noise, get it in asap. The told of is we had went another couple of hundred miles, we likely would have destroyed the engine.

Also, I would highly recommend the repair center. The place is exceptionally clean and well run and they have been great to deal with.

iamflagman 09-22-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdbrain (Post 30602)
Also, I would highly recommend the repair center. The place is exceptionally clean and well run and they have been great to deal with.

John,

Please add the repair facilities information under Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > Service Centers

Randy Dupree 09-22-2009 10:25 AM

this is the 2nd time i have heard about an M380 with a bad head gasket from the factory,the other one only had 25K miles.

JBOONE71 07-27-2010 06:13 AM

04 M380 BLOWN HEAD GASKET

I am having the same issues. I pulled out from Covington,la to head to Parliament Coach with is about 11 hour drive. By the time I had arrived I had the same hissing noise you described. We determined the head gasket was blown in rear of the motor. My 04 M380 has 49,000 miles on it. I brought the coach a little over a year ago with 36,000 miles. I am sick to my stomach seeing my cummis motor in pieces. I will be heading over to the shop first thing this morning to take a look at the head.

Randy Dupree 07-27-2010 09:02 AM

this is bad news.
Keep us advised.

JBOONE71 07-27-2010 01:56 PM

Good news, i took a look at the head this morning and discovered no permanent damage so i think. Pms preventive maintenance service center across from parliament coach sent the head to the local machine shop for further inspecting. It was obvious at one time the cummis isl in my coach had a slight coolant leak from a coolant hole positioned in the rear of head . I am the third owner and at some point suspect because of a slight film white an color around the thermostat that someone added coolant stopleak. So i do believe that the main cause is either a faulty gasket or improper tightening of one or two head bolts in the rear of the motor or someone other than me overheated the motor but my gut feeling is either the gasket or improper tighting of the head bolts from the factory. Hopefully i will be back on the road tomorrow.

JBOONE71 07-27-2010 07:02 PM

Alright guys, it's tuesday evening and the only new information is the machine shop will not have the head back intil tomorrow at 2 clock. They said that they manafluxed the head but they still need to pressure test it. I am still a little worried after reading some of the different post on whether the head is defective. I can take some pics and try to post them but i am not sure exactly how to tell. I did check the head out especially by the back cylinder but did not see any thing wrong.

davidmbrady 07-27-2010 07:16 PM

Jeffrey,

We're all feeling your pain. Things are never simple when you have a manufacturer who's not willing to recall a manufacturing defect and is biding time for warranties to expire. You can bet there's a bunch about this problem that Cummins knows and isn't telling. Have you priced a reman-ed head? It may not be as expensive as one may think. It would be a shame to go to this expense only to do it again. We still don't know if the defect is with the gasket alone or if there's a head issue as well. My guess is both.

JBOONE71 07-27-2010 07:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. It take me a second to post since i am doing it from my phone being that this trip was supposes to be a quick one to do a windshield. So i do not have my computer with me. The shop is charging me 12 hours labor. He said around 1100 dollars on labor. I thought that was a fair price but i did not check on a remanded head.

Rick 07-27-2010 07:55 PM

How many mile on the engine?