Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Bay Door Air Cylinders (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878)

dog2travel 04-23-2008 11:46 PM

Bay Door Air Cylinders

We stopped at the factory and had some of our drooping door cylinders replaced and you did a great job at a fair price.

We had another one fail here in the FL panhandle and have ordered a new one from Felix in parts. It's impossible to compress a 200# cylinder by hand, and you have special fixtures at the plant. We're too far away to come back. Any ideas where or how we can get this fixed. We're headed toward Dallas from here.

fyavorski 04-24-2008 08:50 AM

Thanks for the positive feed back. We can use as much as we can get.
I have been trying to put some thought into a "roadside" makeshift tool to compress the cyninders safely, and the only thing I can think of is some kind of ratchet strap. I know strone ones can pull the 200 lbs. But safety is key. Even our special made tools here make me flinch. Good Luck.

F. Yavorski

dog2travel 04-24-2008 11:37 PM

I have given some thought to a "one use" copy of the factory jig. Maybe a piece of oak with a fixed block or angle at one end and some sort of a screw at the other end to compress.
I know in talking with George at Unadilla, he mentioned that he wished Bleakley had a fixture. I don't expect to find any help at an SOB repair facility. Do Prevosts use the same design in the bays?

dog2travel 06-01-2008 12:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, finally completed a jig which compressed the spring, so I could slip the sockets of the spring over the ball posts. Used a 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" steel angle from HD & a 1/4"threaded eye bolt. The spring was so strong, it bent the angle while under tension when clamped to the angle with visegrips.

pgchd 06-02-2008 12:38 PM

Nice Tool! Thanks for posting this!!! Great idea. Going to make one! My 95 42' must be different..... I had to replace 2 stripped studs this past weekend and found if I held the door in its open position up (use another person those doors are heavy) and "pressed slightly" toward the coach to open the door another 1/4-1/2 inch, that the spring comes out in the normally "open" position totally unloaded. I did notice the right side on all 8 doors have "3 holes" to choose from in the attachment tab but all mine are attached to the "lower single hole" which seems to give the door more leverage and spring....... I noticed the "higher 2 holes' will require your tool, thanks again!

BCRoamer 06-13-2008 10:19 AM

I've replaced most of the gas struts on my bay doors; I cut a 2" X 4" to about the right length and notched the end. I then used it to prop the bay doors open. I then had a friend stand-by as a backup. It was then very easy to replace each of the units.

Gerhard 11-06-2011 08:47 PM

OK Pete and many thanks I will duplicate your jig. I know the older birds didn't need this and Lance's coach system works fine with the older coaches but there is no way to get more play by lifting these doors any higher as they are at the limit.
Thanks for the bright Idea, I had asked George M. and he had no answer, maybe he should make himself a jig like it ???
Have a nice eve.

Gerhard 11-07-2011 05:33 PM

Hi Pete, say please tell me how the eye bolt is fastened? It seems to me that needs to be held by something to work. I am going to construct your jig, but I assume it has to be held in place? \
Thanks for your reply

Dieselbird01 11-08-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerhard (Post 134889)
Hi Pete, say please tell me how the eye bolt is fastened? It seems to me that needs to be held by something to work. I am going to construct your jig, but I assume it has to be held in place? \
Thanks for your reply

Hi Gerhard,

You've jumped threads and mixed up names - Morey Zuber made the tool - I posted the link on your original thread that led you here.

Your original thread is here:
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=11769

Gerhard 11-08-2011 02:23 AM

Sorry about that. I am having a hard time following the threads and re posting, as I am not computer savey.:confused: