Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   RV Products Review (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Parisitic drain fixes. (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30883)

biobug 03-15-2018 12:23 AM

Parisitic drain fixes.

Our '92 SP is a great rig but it is 1992 technology. I have added 800 watts of solar to take care of electrical additions I have done and reduced parisitic loads like LEDS Thru the coach. Yet there is still what, 5- 6 amps draining the batteries. What kind of "Transfer switches": etc can I replace to lower the draw in new technolidgy switches. I have heard that the SOLAR Gurus have made changes. Enlighten us please!!??:eek:
Us simple people need to be enlightened!:D:D

MarkYuma 03-15-2018 12:29 AM

If you're down to four or 5 AMPs you're doing pretty good.
I can get mine down a little further by throwing the AT switch that drops that big power Hogg the big continuous duty relay.
If your heaters are still set to come on whenever the temperature gets cold there's another couple relays they are engaged. Turn off your water pump.
I'm not sure what else you've done.

clyndes 03-15-2018 10:43 AM

I have an '83 FC, so there may be differences.

The 3 switches above the drivers left shoulder that are labeled Air Conditioning. Each powers a relay if they are left on, so shut them off.

Get a helper to turn the DC power switch under the right side of the dash off and on while you listen for the clack of a relay energizing. Once you find the relay figure out what it does and decide what to do about it.

I once had one of the VentLine roof vent's (circular) motor freeze up. No clue why my parasitic load increased by 5 amps until I happened to turn it off on a whim. Discovered the motor was pretty hot too.

Get a good digital Amp Meter and keep an eye on the load.

badandy 03-15-2018 12:16 PM

If you have those remote heater/ac switches like Craig (and I) then those each consume 160ma+ when activated. I have one of these relays sucking 500ma, it must have been ready to die. Replace with solid state relays to reduce that draw to nearly nothing or leave the switches off.

Check out the LP solenoid, that takes 750ma on an LXI, but might be different on yours! This is a big one.

I believe there was some sort of DC filter in a lot of these coaches, I would probably toss that in the garbage if you have it.

Radios take a little bit when turned off, but powered on if that makes sense. Like turning the key on in your car, but turning the radio off. They typically take a lot more power in this mode than key-off with just the positive wire that's connected to power the memory in it.

Your SP probably has more hidden loads than mine, but you should be able to get it down to almost nothing.

rshrimp 03-16-2018 08:56 AM

5 amps! I thought I was doing good at 35! (with house fridge running and inverter on)

MarkYuma 03-16-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rshrimp (Post 409592)
5 amps! I thought I was doing good at 35! (with house fridge running and inverter on)

You probably don't drive can you much :-)

Clueless 03-16-2018 09:53 AM

2 spotlights???
Leaving the wrong one chosen keeps a relay energized.

Usually takes me a day or so to remember the ice machine is hooked to the inverter so a PO could have her iced tea at the racetrack. It's a hog.

biobug 10-06-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clueless (Post 409602)
2 spotlights???
Leaving the wrong one chosen keeps a relay energized.

Usually takes me a day or so to remember the ice machine is hooked to the inverter so a PO could have her iced tea at the racetrack. It's a hog.

LOL! My wife is used to Ice and 2 CPaps + the Ice machine ( with one heater) about 3 am we start sucking air!:D:::D

NoGas 10-07-2019 12:59 AM

Pretty bad when an M380 with a House fridge has a draw that’s in your neighborhood! :eek: :D.

I’m at 5-6 dc amps middle of the night when the Samsung compressor isn’t running. Draw is up around 10-12 when it is running. The Magnum MS2812 stays powered up for the refer but has a low Standby setting. Replaced a known power hog relay with a manual switch and all the electronic stuff can be switched off with a plug bar. Microwave/convection oven also has its own paddle switch behind the adjacent cabinet door. The 380 has a “light show” box in one of the bays that controls the slides and I shut its power off when off-grid. If you have luminescent switch panels, each has a small inverter that might be powered even though the panel light switch is off. On my coach those are concealed behind the switch panel or in cabinets. When it’s dead quiet at night and they were connected, you could hear them lightly humming, which = milliamps wasted. Even with solar and a big battery pack, is much easier to conserve than replace wasted power :rolleyes: