Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Fuel sender confusion (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19427)

RWINGZ 04-12-2014 06:13 PM

Fuel sender confusion

I wanted to ask, in my 97wb I guess I need to replace the fuel sender. I think it is in the bay with my aquahot. Next question is whether or not I need to remove the fuel tank or not. Either way do I need to replace the float as well? How involved is it for someone not nearly as capable as you all?
Thanks for any and all input.....getting to be the time of year to GO

Andrew

birds_first 04-12-2014 06:52 PM

If you get a replacement sender better make sure it matches the fuel guage, if not it won't read correctly. You almost have to get the number of ohms off the unit it is stamped on the sending unit. I bought a matched set both the guage and sending unit, from NAPA. I have an FC and it may be different than yours.

Stephen 04-12-2014 07:21 PM

the sender comes as a complete unit float sender and arm
as john said they sender must match the gauge
held in with 5 or 6 tiny screws and a gasket

if you need a gauge we have nos teleflex
fuel gauges but no senders $20.00 plus shipping

Ernest Ekberg 04-12-2014 07:36 PM

I have heard it is located on a verticle wall by aqua hot. The panel gives you access. I have not had a need to do this- yet

RWINGZ 04-13-2014 11:33 AM

Thanks for the info. I never thought about matching for the same ohms.

bwinter1946 04-22-2014 04:17 PM

Does your 97 have VDO guages in the dash?

I worked with Rick Archie on his 97 and he had VDO guages same as my BMC. The sender was located behind a small panel (The panel was about 5x5 inches? covered in the grey bay material and held on by sheet metal screws) in a bay on the left side of the coach. The sender was very easy to replace and does not penetrate the tank. It is magnetically coupled to the internal tank float. The sender was round faced and made by Rochestor guages in Texas. Be advised there are two sizes and VDO guages are normally 0-90 ohms. The very small screws at the top and bottom remove the sender. The two wires provide the signal to the dash guage. Do not remove the larger screws as they do penetrate the tank. My propane tank uses the same type of sender but is a different size.

Hope this helps.

chokmah 04-27-2017 12:12 PM

Brad, do you (or anyone) happen to recall the source of the replacement sender? I'm looking for one for my BMC. It's just like you described all those years ago - two small screws holding it on, magnetically coupled, 0-90 ohms, made by Rochester Gauges. It has what looks like a part number 5-2249 on it.

hansruys 04-29-2017 01:09 PM

When I bought my 1994 WB last fall the po included a fuel sender
I eventually got around to replacing it.
My access plate was on the street side behind the tool box,
a six inch square plate mounted vertically on the wall,
the gauge was two screws and two wires, my fuel gauge now works.
Hope yours is as easy to get to.

bwinter1946 05-04-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chokmah (Post 376455)
Brad, do you (or anyone) happen to recall the source of the replacement sender? I'm looking for one for my BMC. It's just like you described all those years ago - two small screws holding it on, magnetically coupled, 0-90 ohms, made by Rochester Gauges. It has what looks like a part number 5-2249 on it.

I called Rochester Gauges via a phone number I found on-line. They do not sell to the public but they gave me a couple of venders that would. Seemed to me I bought replacements from a Vendor in Vermont.

http://rochestergauges.com/pages/locations.html

atckip 08-12-2019 07:56 PM

I'm going to add to an old thread...but my fuel gauge has been acting up for awhile. I did find one wire barely connected to the sending unit...but that didn't fix it. It was bouncing around when I approached 1/2 tank, but on this trip it won't go pass 3/4 tank and still bouncing.
My question is......the sender and float.... all one unit? I need to have a fairly empty tank to remove? Anyone have a part number for a 95 sender?