Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   M380 (Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   ABS & Brake Lights (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13766)

cmillsap 06-15-2012 02:49 PM

ABS & Brake Lights

My ABS light on dash is on. The Silverleaf diagnostics reads that the "Retarder Control Relay" is faulty. Anyone know where that relay is on a M380? Anyone have this problem before? I have changed all the relays & fuses in the lower electrial panel that are ABS or engine brake related which didn't solve the problem. The brake lights do not work either and I am assuming that is because of the ABS malfunction?? I have not been able to find a fuse for the brake lights. If there is one, can someone tell me where it is??

I tried re-setting the ABS with the button under the dash, that cleared the history but the light is still on.

I'm more concerned about getting the brake lights to come on as we had planned to go on a long trip starting tomorrow. I was hooking up the Jeep and found the brake light problem when we were making sure all lights were functioning properly.

Chuck

Doc&Linda 06-15-2012 05:15 PM

Chuck, The only thing I can find that might help is in the 'Chassis Electrical Center', located in the bay on the driver side, under the window. The bay with the generator start battery and auxillary air compressor. The top left relay is labled Brake Light. There are also some ABS relays in there. Hope this helps. Let us know.

cmillsap 06-15-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc&Linda (Post 165506)
Chuck, The only thing I can find that might help is in the 'Chassis Electrical Center', located in the bay on the driver side, under the window. The bay with the generator start battery and auxillary air compressor. The top left relay is labled Brake Light. There are also some ABS relays in there. Hope this helps. Let us know.

Thanks, Doc,

Yeah, I had already changed that relay. It is labeled "ABS Brake Signal" on my coach. Dave Sullivan (CoachWorx) and I have traced the problem to where Dave thinks it may be the air operated brake switch but I can not find it to test it. It is supposed to be somewhere under the front driver's side of the coach along with the park brake switch but I haven't been able to locate it. Dave did say BB had moved them on some coaches. There are 2 of these switches hanging down from the bottom of the dash on left side of steering column which I tested as I thought they may be the chassis & park brake switches, but they probably are for the air system gage and audible low air alarm.

If anyone knows where the Chassis & Park Brake Switches are located on a M380, I'd appreciate the info.

Chuck

cmillsap 06-16-2012 12:01 AM

Well, after spending a full day on the problem; we finally solved it. There is a broken wire or a bad pin on one of the multi-wire connectors on the back of the electrical distribution panel located near the chassis batteries. I disconnected the 2 electrical box connectors and found the pins to be clean and shiny. So rather than try to trace the bad wire in the harness, I just ran a new wire from the stop light relay to the brake lights.

I’ll pass along a couple of things I learned during the process.

1) The air operated brake light switch is indeed located and attached to the bottom of the dash. In fact, there are 2 switches hooked in parallel in case one malfunctions.

2) The park brake switch is also located there between the 2 brake light switches.

3) The brake light control circuit fuse and the stop light relay that it operates can be found in the electrical distribution panel by the batteries.

Chuck

curtsprenger 06-16-2012 12:27 AM

Chuck, glad you got the problem resolved. Have a great trip.

Robert Britton 06-16-2012 12:35 AM

Thanks for passing that along Chuck...glad you got it figured out and repaired.

Dan & Cindy 06-16-2012 08:57 AM

Chuck - ditto what Robert said. I've added your info to my file of important tech docs not provided by the factory.

Doc&Linda 06-16-2012 01:42 PM

Same as everyone else said Hope you have a great trip. Doc

Terry Hester 08-12-2012 12:44 PM

ABS buzzer

Does anyone know where the ABS buzzer is located and if it can be silenced? The light stays on and the buzzer is very annoying but the brakes seem to work OK? I looked in the pannel outside the drivers window and don't find anything that denotes the ABS or any brake?

Terry

larocque_rdl 11-13-2013 05:23 PM

No Brake Lights

We have also just experienced no brake lights :mad: on our new to us 2004 M380.
After reviewing the electrical schematics I was able to do a couple of checks in the PDU electrical box located near the engine batteries. Once I eliminated the two service brake air pressure switches, 20 amp fuse (CB3-3) and stop light relay (K5-R5) as the source of the problem, I focused on the wiring between the relay and brake lights at the rear of the coach.
The culprit was the P87 (3 wire: 1 red-power and 2 white-grounds) connector. It's located on the passenger side inside the back of the engine compartment just above the two brake light housing. Because the P87 is just hanging by it's wires, the 3 internal pins were making poor contact. I was able to disconnect and firmly reconnect the male/female plugs. This made a stronger/better contact. In an effort to eliminate future loosening of the contacts, I tie-wrapped both sides of P87 to the wiring harness. This should help minimize the effects of vibrations.
Good to have brake lights again with no out of pocket costs :).