Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Accident - Park Brake (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14713)

Rob Robinson 09-26-2012 03:35 PM

Accident - Park Brake

7 Attachment(s)
WOG would like to remind our members of the importance of their braking systems. As this is the start of a busy travel time we want you to check your brake systems or get them checked if you're not able to do it yourself. In addition and especially for all our newer members please remember to reach for the park brake every time you come to a stop and put your tranny in neutral. I know in many cases I'm preaching to the choir but we've all done it (or not done it to be more accurate). The enclosed pictures are of an accident four days ago where a BMC plunged over a steep embankment coming to rest some 450ft down. The owner (who shall remain anonymous) has kindly agreed to let me post these pics in hopes that it will serve as a reminder to others to have their systems checked and to remember to set their park brake. At this point in time it is not know if the accident was due to mechanical or driver error. The cliff edge pictures seem to show possible locked wheel drag marks but that is only speculation

Also see Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) > bought 95 BMC 37'

markusfmeyer 09-26-2012 03:47 PM

Holy smokes. Hope everyone is ok, that thing looks smushed like a stick and staples coach.

Rob Robinson 09-26-2012 03:49 PM

No loss of life at all.

JD33 09-26-2012 03:50 PM

Yiikes, hope everyone got out in time

Buckeye Bird 09-26-2012 04:22 PM

Since the actual info was not posted, am I correct in assuming that this was a PARKED coach, that then rolled down the embankment ?
Also, was there anybody IN the coach at the time ?
Looks a lot more messed up than I would have thought, but it is difficult to see how steep the embankment actually is.

Klee ?

mynavion 09-26-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markusfmeyer (Post 179341)
Holy smokes, guess the BMC doesn't hold up like the Wanderlodges, or would this have also happened to a Lodge as well? Hope everyone is ok, that thing looks smushed like a stick and staples coach.

Built just like a Wanderlodge, just different frame. It would have done the same to a WL. Hope no one was in it (including pets)....

catshreds 09-26-2012 04:46 PM

Thank Goodness no one was hurt! I feel so bad for the Wogger who lost their pride and joy. Doubly sad if it was their maiden voyage!!!!! :(:(:(

iamflagman 09-26-2012 05:50 PM

I don't think that this coach took a Sunday ride over the side nor did it go straight down on it's wheels it most likely flipped and or rolled down the embankment and the pictures really don't show how steep it is, I think that any 'Bird that took that kind of a 450 foot drop would look very similar, thus it is kind of idiotic in my opinion to asume that the BMC in this situation is any less of a sturdy 'Bird.

Yes it was parked and no one, or pets were in the BMC when it went over the embankment.

Mallie Lennon 09-26-2012 06:19 PM

If only Paul Harvey was here we could hear the rest of the story.
Sad no matter, but a sure wonder no one was hurt.

Bill Pape 09-26-2012 08:05 PM

Very sad for this owner, fortunate no one was injured.
This is a great reminder to us all, check the air brake system & spring brakes.

Could be one or both spring brake actuators were defective or weak.
It appears that the body separated from the chassis, far left rear is the driver/passenger seat.