Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   'Bird Projects & Modifications (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Girard Awning LED Lighting (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30139)

Lew 04-13-2018 08:52 PM

Great lights. I thought only Elvis and POTUS had a phone by the pooper.

SNOWBIRD 04-13-2018 09:31 PM

And Ron has a Girard awning too? What doesn't he have on that coach? I'm tempted to just give up. I don't think I'll ever catch up unless I retire.

It looks great!

jwmp 04-13-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamflagman (Post 399284)
In 2016 at Key West Mark Bragdon with very little help from me added a strip of LED's under the drip rail on my 'Bird and then earlier this year another strip was added continuing to the rear. It has been a love - hate relationship with the 3M adhesive that came on the strips, the front strip came loose but was secured back in place using 3M body side molding tape purchased at Oriely Auto Parts, the forward light now has decided to not light up completely but shows just a very dim light but the rear strip is still working great, it has been frustrating.:mad::rolleyes:

John, I'm afraid to ask what that fire extinguisher is for.....maybe too many peppers. :D

Boise_Wannabee 04-14-2018 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamflagman (Post 399284)
In 2016 at Key West Mark Bragdon with very little help from me added a strip of LED's under the drip rail on my 'Bird and then earlier this year another strip was added continuing to the rear. It has been a love - hate relationship with the 3M adhesive that came on the strips, the front strip came loose but was secured back in place using 3M body side molding tape purchased at Oriely Auto Parts, the forward light now has decided to not light up completely but shows just a very dim light but the rear strip is still working great, it has been frustrating.:mad::rolleyes:

I would love to have a little more information on this conversion to integrate the strip into the porch light. Very clever and what a great upgrade. I saw a friend with a new TT with this type of light and sure would be extra cool to have it on a Bird.

NoGas 04-14-2018 06:27 AM

LED Creepy Crawley Deterrent?

3 Attachment(s)
Have heard crawling bugs, snakes and especially wire-chewing rats don’t like light. Upon seeing several camp hosts with led rope lights positioned around the base/perimeter of their units, I asked and was told it was to repel snakes and rodents. We often boondock in remote areas & one night while sitting outside at last week’s Burro Creek get together, a snake got WAY too close :eek:. Since the DW dislikes snakes ALLOT, that has me thinking about deterrence.

Has anyone added LED lighting around their coach for this purpose? Blue looks cool but which color is most effective or do they dislike the most? At BC I left the white porch light on for just a few minutes by mistake and the flying bugs were swarming, so white’s probably not the best option - at least in the desert this time of year :rolleyes:

Just ordered a roll of the LED lighting from place Ron suggested, so that awning upgrade project is officially on the short list :cool:. Thanks for the tips Ron!

Nancy Brookshire 04-14-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGas (Post 413025)
We often boondock in remote areas & one night while sitting outside at last week’s Burro Creek get together, a snake got WAY too close :eek:. Since the DW dislikes snakes ALLOT, that has me thinking about deterrence.

2nd picture with light on snake...eekkks...don’t LOOK at the snake, just kill the darn thing! I know some of you don’t want to...but to me and Toni, the only good one.....is deceased!

Randy Dupree 04-14-2018 08:02 AM

the first pic may be a "belt" snake.
The other 2 are "hatband" snakes.
If your into wearing skins that it.

Here at the warehouse the snakes like to sun bathe on the railroad tracks.

ArlinV 04-14-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Dupree (Post 413027)
the first pic may be a "belt" snake.
The other 2 are "hatband" snakes.
If your into wearing skins that it.

That’s it! I’ve said for years “the only good snakes are belts, hatbands, and boots”. Can’t even tolerate large earthworms!

NoGas 11-30-2018 02:04 AM

LED addition in Girrard awning channel

4 Attachment(s)
Finally got around to installing my Girrard LED lighting mod per Ron’s instructions above. Went basically as he described. Took two 16’ strips so had some left over. For the plastic backing I cut a couple lengths of plastic shower molding from HD, with the LED’s attached to the plastic strips. Joining two LED strips together was easy once I used good old plumbing flux when soldering the little tabs and filled the missing plastic covering with hot glue. The plastic joining tabs provided by the LED company work but are too big to fit into the awning channel. You definitely want to test the entire length before mounting it, as I had one inop segment. Easy to bypass before mounting but after, not so much. For the poly rope, I used a $3 package of twisted yellow 3/8” at HF. Pulling it through untwisted was easier and flattened the LED lights against the awning channel just as well. For the switching I ran the line to my porch outlet. The LEDs are now controlled by the porch light switch and will be turned ON/OFF using it. If something brighter is needed, I can turn the poach light ON/OFF using my awning pullout pole by pushing the rubber covered push button under the tube fixture (when the LEDs are ON at the switch). Love the subdued light the LEDs put out :)

Thanks Ron!!

rrueckwald 11-30-2018 03:37 AM

Looks great, Van. Nice picture of the end opening; really shows why the flat strip and rope.

I find I am using mine more and more. It gives much better light than the porch lights.