Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   'Bird Projects & Modifications (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Girard Awning LED Lighting (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30139)

rrueckwald 11-28-2017 10:45 PM

Girard Awning LED Lighting

2 Attachment(s)
A brand new Girard installation I saw recently had an led light strip mounted in the groove/cavity/slot in the outboard edge extrusion of the awning. Looked great. This cavity was designed for sliding a screen drop along it, but removal of the end caps, and having to remove it for each retraction made it useless. The LED strip was a really nice use of the slot, so I duplicated the installation.

The cavity is a "T" kind of slot 3/8" wide and 3/8" deep. Most tapes are 0.39” wide and would not fit. The tape used was 0.31" from lightingever.com, SKU # 4100058-WW, non-dimmable, waterproof, with adhesive backing.

There are probably better ways to install this, and I don't know how Girard did it, but I stuck the strips to some 1/8" plastic sheet cut in strips, pushed them through, then pulled a 1/4" polypropylene rope (for no water absorption) through behind it with a messenger cord. This was to keep the strip from bouncing in the slot and dropping out.

Girard ran the cased wire bundle (I used 16-2 marine wire from West Marine) through the outboard arm, but on the top of the inboard arm. I ran it on top of both. Used white tie-wraps that are not too visible. You have to be careful of interference when closing, and enough loop at the bends to avoid straining the wire.

The pictures aren't great, but you get the idea. When the awning is extended, the led strip gives enough light for the patio, and when retracted, lights up the area next to the bus very well, better than the patio light.

Randy Dupree 11-28-2017 10:48 PM

Now lets see them turned on Ron!
Hehehe! just kidding,they really look nice,good job!

rrueckwald 11-28-2017 11:17 PM

Kinda hard for an amateur to take flash pictures of lights. You have to sort of imagine it.

Randy Dupree 11-28-2017 11:24 PM

Its good Ron,really,its good!

markbragdon 11-28-2017 11:46 PM

Good job, Ron. It makes me wish I had a slot in my ZipDee awning. Green LEDs would look great there.

Randy Dupree 11-29-2017 12:09 AM

Hey mark,just glue the LEDs on the tube,it will still roll up just fine,the fabric with roll right over the lights.
But,you will have to use a cordless extension cord for power.

NoGas 11-29-2017 12:28 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ron - Great implementation! Did you wire them into the porch light? Use a power converter or straight to 12V of the porch light? Did you consider adding a remote or color changing LED function, or was the tape width a problem?

Last weekend I went to a free RV show at Phoenix stadium to see all the latest innovations (and because I’d never seen the inside of the Cardinal hangout). One of several mods caught my eye. Took pictures below and put the project on my to-do list. Note the cable routing and how nice LED’s look.

PS - the stadium is impressive especially from the field level. However while the stick & plastic diesel coaches were flashy & glamorous, I can’t say much for their junk construction :eek:

rrueckwald 11-30-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGas (Post 399080)
Ron - Great implementation! Did you wire them into the porch light? Use a power converter or straight to 12V of the porch light? Did you consider adding a remote or color changing LED function, or was the tape width a problem?

Last weekend I went to a free RV show at Phoenix stadium to see all the latest innovations (and because I’d never seen the inside of the Cardinal hangout). One of several mods caught my eye. Took pictures below and put the project on my to-do list. Note the cable routing and how nice LED’s look.

PS - the stadium is impressive especially from the field level. However while the stick & plastic diesel coaches were flashy & glamorous, I can’t say much for their junk construction :eek:

Van,
I ran the wire through the wall over the door to a switch next to the awning control, then to its own cb on the overhead 12vdc cb panel. The patio light wiring is not too accessible on the inside.

Girard had a "U" shaped strip screwed to the top of the arm into which the wire had been pressed. That is hard to do with the awning there, so I just used three white tie-wraps on each of the two arms. Not pretty, but fairly unobtrusive.

Tape width was an issue. The slot inside dimension is 0.325, smaller than most led strips. The strip I found was 0.31.

Varying colors? Naaw. Thought that was a fad that would quickly lose its charm. Nice for an RV show, though.

From your pictures, it looks like they stuck the led strip to an outside surface. I don't trust that adhesive, from practical experience, so I thought inside the slot was perfect as the adhesive doesn't matter once the strip is in place with a backer strip behind it.

A fun project, but I seemed to create far too many self-inflicted issues on that one. It took way too long, but I like the results.

rrueckwald 11-30-2017 10:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's how I did the wiring.

iamflagman 11-30-2017 10:42 PM

In 2016 at Key West Mark Bragdon with very little help from me added a strip of LED's under the drip rail on my 'Bird and then earlier this year another strip was added continuing to the rear. It has been a love - hate relationship with the 3M adhesive that came on the strips, the front strip came loose but was secured back in place using 3M body side molding tape purchased at Oriely Auto Parts, the forward light now has decided to not light up completely but shows just a very dim light but the rear strip is still working great, it has been frustrating.:mad::rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamflagman (Post 329269)
It was add LED lights to the Finn's Inn Express with expert assistance from Mark Bragdon on the outside a LED strip was added under the drip rail, I had seen this done on a few 'Birds and liked the idea, they are wired into the outside porch light and they really light up the outside.

This photo is not an exaggeration of how bright they are.

To help me during those trips to the bathroom at night, I had a section of the outside LED strip left over, so I mounted it under the wire cover above the commode and wired it into the water pump switch, this SHOULD help me see where I aim.

Lew 04-13-2018 08:52 PM

Great lights. I thought only Elvis and POTUS had a phone by the pooper.

SNOWBIRD 04-13-2018 09:31 PM

And Ron has a Girard awning too? What doesn't he have on that coach? I'm tempted to just give up. I don't think I'll ever catch up unless I retire.

It looks great!

jwmp 04-13-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamflagman (Post 399284)
In 2016 at Key West Mark Bragdon with very little help from me added a strip of LED's under the drip rail on my 'Bird and then earlier this year another strip was added continuing to the rear. It has been a love - hate relationship with the 3M adhesive that came on the strips, the front strip came loose but was secured back in place using 3M body side molding tape purchased at Oriely Auto Parts, the forward light now has decided to not light up completely but shows just a very dim light but the rear strip is still working great, it has been frustrating.:mad::rolleyes:

John, I'm afraid to ask what that fire extinguisher is for.....maybe too many peppers. :D

Boise_Wannabee 04-14-2018 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamflagman (Post 399284)

I would love to have a little more information on this conversion to integrate the strip into the porch light. Very clever and what a great upgrade. I saw a friend with a new TT with this type of light and sure would be extra cool to have it on a Bird.

NoGas 04-14-2018 06:27 AM

LED Creepy Crawley Deterrent?

3 Attachment(s)
Have heard crawling bugs, snakes and especially wire-chewing rats don’t like light. Upon seeing several camp hosts with led rope lights positioned around the base/perimeter of their units, I asked and was told it was to repel snakes and rodents. We often boondock in remote areas & one night while sitting outside at last week’s Burro Creek get together, a snake got WAY too close :eek:. Since the DW dislikes snakes ALLOT, that has me thinking about deterrence.

Has anyone added LED lighting around their coach for this purpose? Blue looks cool but which color is most effective or do they dislike the most? At BC I left the white porch light on for just a few minutes by mistake and the flying bugs were swarming, so white’s probably not the best option - at least in the desert this time of year :rolleyes:

Just ordered a roll of the LED lighting from place Ron suggested, so that awning upgrade project is officially on the short list :cool:. Thanks for the tips Ron!

Nancy Brookshire 04-14-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGas (Post 413025)
We often boondock in remote areas & one night while sitting outside at last week’s Burro Creek get together, a snake got WAY too close :eek:. Since the DW dislikes snakes ALLOT, that has me thinking about deterrence.

2nd picture with light on snake...eekkks...don’t LOOK at the snake, just kill the darn thing! I know some of you don’t want to...but to me and Toni, the only good one.....is deceased!

Randy Dupree 04-14-2018 08:02 AM

the first pic may be a "belt" snake.
The other 2 are "hatband" snakes.
If your into wearing skins that it.

Here at the warehouse the snakes like to sun bathe on the railroad tracks.

ArlinV 04-14-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Dupree (Post 413027)
the first pic may be a "belt" snake.
The other 2 are "hatband" snakes.
If your into wearing skins that it.

That’s it! I’ve said for years “the only good snakes are belts, hatbands, and boots”. Can’t even tolerate large earthworms!

NoGas 11-30-2018 02:04 AM

LED addition in Girrard awning channel

4 Attachment(s)
Finally got around to installing my Girrard LED lighting mod per Ron’s instructions above. Went basically as he described. Took two 16’ strips so had some left over. For the plastic backing I cut a couple lengths of plastic shower molding from HD, with the LED’s attached to the plastic strips. Joining two LED strips together was easy once I used good old plumbing flux when soldering the little tabs and filled the missing plastic covering with hot glue. The plastic joining tabs provided by the LED company work but are too big to fit into the awning channel. You definitely want to test the entire length before mounting it, as I had one inop segment. Easy to bypass before mounting but after, not so much. For the poly rope, I used a $3 package of twisted yellow 3/8” at HF. Pulling it through untwisted was easier and flattened the LED lights against the awning channel just as well. For the switching I ran the line to my porch outlet. The LEDs are now controlled by the porch light switch and will be turned ON/OFF using it. If something brighter is needed, I can turn the poach light ON/OFF using my awning pullout pole by pushing the rubber covered push button under the tube fixture (when the LEDs are ON at the switch). Love the subdued light the LEDs put out :)

Thanks Ron!!

rrueckwald 11-30-2018 03:37 AM

Looks great, Van. Nice picture of the end opening; really shows why the flat strip and rope.

I find I am using mine more and more. It gives much better light than the porch lights.

rrueckwald 11-30-2018 03:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SNOWBIRD (Post 413013)
And Ron has a Girard awning too? What doesn't he have on that coach? I'm tempted to just give up. I don't think I'll ever catch up unless I retire.

It looks great!

Sky,

Somehow I missed your post. The Girard was original, and I think it may have been their first, certainly close to it. This bus appears to have been the brochure cover picture that year.

NoGas 12-11-2018 04:48 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Noticed I had a blank “switch” in the passenger seat panel (labeled “Bay Locks”). Instead of staying with porch light switch control of both the Porch Light and the new Awning LED strip, decided I wanted a switch for each. The switches are made by Eaton and available HERE. Ordered a couple and ran lines from the two switches to lights up the door chase, then along the upper wiring chase. Now each light has its own control by the door. Am also considering reducing the size/thickness of the zip ties which secure the wiring to the top of the awning rails.

While carpeted wiring chase panels were removed, I disconnected the ridiculously noisy panel luminescent lighting inverter. It lit up my wiring tracer like a Christmas tree! When switch arrives, will install and be done :)

NoGas 01-21-2019 11:17 AM

Girard Awning LED Lighting - Final Results

2 Attachment(s)
Final results - is nice to have control of both outside lights from the normal inside panel. I like that light which shines on the ground vs side of coach can be varied depending upon how far out the awning is extended. The narrower LED strips Ron and I used aren’t colorized and I don’t know if a dimmer can be used. But the effect is much less glaring than the porch light, almost like daylight. The porch light and rear corner “hook-up light” were also converted to “tube style” LEDs with clear covers, so they are very bright. All use a very small amount of juice. Pic shows only the Awning Light with awning extended out about 1-1/2 feet. Like Ron, we use the awning light more than the porch light.

DW SD 01-22-2019 12:09 PM

the LEDs look awesome on your awnings! Great job