Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Generators (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   12 volt gennie fan krumped (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33901)

gcyeaw 05-14-2019 09:27 PM

12 volt gennie fan krumped

While the gennie was running tonight my wife started smelling something. My sense of smell is all but gone, so she wandered around and settled on it coming from outside, Turns out it was the gennie overheating:eek: I discovered the hot lead to the 12 volt fan was melting and the fan was not running. It seems to be binding or hitting something, but it is toast. Will be looking for one at the local auto parts stores tomorrow. IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING:eek:

badandy 05-14-2019 11:59 PM

Good time to make sure the high temp kill switch works. I know mine does!

GregOC 05-15-2019 10:20 AM

Fuses are often called line protection device. Without reguard to cause of failure, the fuse could be too big. Had some object obstructed the fan, a low amp fuse would have popped then protected the fan motor.

If it is a 12v radiator fan gen mod, might get longer fan life if you install a two speed thermostat switch. Not much of a reason to run the fan when the engine water jacket thermostat is not pumping water to the rad.
on the load side of the fan fuse,might be a good place to drop a Bosh relay that trips a oil press switch or some prompt in the Murphy shutdown system
Cause of..... could be air flow issue or fan motor oversized. Often over looked when making mods and changes is the max side of part output and specs. All you need is all you need.

gcyeaw 05-15-2019 10:44 AM

Got lots of hours/years on the fan. Can't get the old one out due to all the old hardware around it, going to be a big job. Heading home sooner than expected.

GregOC 05-15-2019 11:10 AM

Some measurement or value of SMELL or aroma would be a great diagnostic /pending /avoidance of mechanical failure system.

gcyeaw 06-10-2019 02:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the new SPAL fan installed on the generator this weekend with a lot of help from the Pappas family:D Fired it up and loaded it up and it runs around 175 on an 80 degree day. Pretty much the same as before, so I'm happy.

We tilted the assembly out for access, but after removing the support between the old 220 volt fan motor mount and the top of the radiator support, we were able to get old fan out and the new one in from below. I suspect we could have done it without tilting the assembly out.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics.

badandy 06-10-2019 03:02 PM

What part no. is your new fan? Do you really run 85psi in your tag tires?

gcyeaw 06-10-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badandy (Post 454978)
What part no. is your new fan? Do you really run 85psi in your tag tires?

16" SPAL High Profile - Push Type Electric Fan - S2048 Pulls around 23 amps running, a bit more on startup. I have a 35 amp auto-reset on it.

The blue fan box in the pic is the temporary one I zip tied on the outside.

Actually I run 95 PSI in the tag. They are Michelin 315's. Those numbers were on the door when I bought it, I never used them. 110 on the front and drive, 95 on the tag. That's what the PO ran as well. Probably have 50K miles on them.