Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Places to Visit (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   TABASCO Sauce on Avery Island, Louisiana (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33238)

atckip 02-05-2019 08:06 AM

TABASCO Sauce on Avery Island, Louisiana

We thought we might go see the TABASCO setup on Avery Island, Louisiana after we leave the LoveBirds rally. I saw a documentary once and it looked interesting. Anyone been there, camping in the area....worth seeing?...anything else in the area? I did find this place online KOC campground in New Iberia, LA. It looks to be the closest

Dc2x4drvr 02-05-2019 09:15 AM

We took B727’s for reprainting to Avery Island back in the ‘90’s, they had huge hangars..

Jacque D 02-05-2019 09:17 AM

Check out Betty's RV in Abbeville LA. We are going there right before the rally.
Jacque

Flyfisher 02-05-2019 09:52 AM

We did the same thing our first time to the Vidalia Rally and stayed at the Koc Kampground. Lot of rig and industry workers in the area stay there, but it was fine, no problems and nice people. The tour of the Tobasco plant and museum is excellent, you can eat lunch and there's a very cool gift shop $$$. You can also do the gardens drive through, too. In New Iberia there is the Konriko Rice Mill tour and shop, which is short and interesting. Meche's Donuts, for pastries and it will be King Cake time, too. Legno's Boucherie for excellent authentic Acadiana boudain and meats. Jane's Seafood for crawfish and sausage boil. That's a sample...…...

giderich 02-05-2019 11:08 AM

Kip, be sure to check out Acadiana Regional Aiport (KARA) https://www.airnav.com/airport/KARA while visiting New Iberia. In 1970, I was a newer pilot and while performing topographic surveying for the USGS, would on weekends rent a C-150 and fly over Avery Island (salt dome), St. Martinville, Lafayette, Breaux Bridge & vicinity and became quite familiar with the area. Hard to believe that was only 49 years ago!! The only runway at KARA was 200' wide and 8002' long; enough to land the C-150 six or eight times. :)

In later years the seaplane base was added as well as the larger hangar for painting 747s and other heavy aircraft.

photoadjuster 02-05-2019 11:51 AM

Kip, when you take the tour ask the Tabasco sauce people if the following story is true.

In August of 1992 I was sent to work hurricane Andrew claims in Florida. Before I got there Andrew got back in the gulf and hit Louisiana. I ended up working claims around, but not on, Avery Island.

Most of my claims were for employees of the McIlhenny Company, the makers of Tabasco sauce.

Here is the story I heard from several of these employees.

When the plant closes, they turn off and lock off, the electricity and open all of the doors in the buildings where they make the sauce. Reportly the alligators walk out of the swamp, enter the buildings and eat the scraps they find on the floor.

They have never had a burglary. At least they have never found anyone or any pieces of anyone.

At sun up, an older employee took a long stick and banged it on the legs of the work benches and the alligators slowly left the building. He closed the door and the work day began.

I always wondered if they were pulling my leg or not.

Randy Dupree 02-05-2019 12:11 PM

Free popcorn!!
Get your popcorn here!!

rshrimp 02-05-2019 01:36 PM

Sounds like a couple days are in order. Right now we plan to hit New Orleans for a few days after Love Birds, staying at Fairview Riverside SP, but that could change. Maybe both???

LarryKehler 02-05-2019 02:55 PM

Kip
We always stay at Pouch's rv park in Breaux bridge.
It's a passport $20 park.
Easy drive to Avery island. We also heard the story about the open doors for the gaters.

Great area to spend a few days. Can't see enough in one or two days.

irmagoo 02-05-2019 02:57 PM

betty's rv is a ball that's where we like to stay vary tight spaces but happy hour is 5-?? and its fun,,, the botanical gardens on avery island is great it alone is a day or two