Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Generators (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Danger-- FIRE HAZARD IN GENERATOR COMPARTMENT (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9948)

Don & Kitty Bartlett 05-02-2011 10:40 PM

Danger-- FIRE HAZARD IN GENERATOR COMPARTMENT
 
3 Attachment(s)
The wife and I took the Bird out for a short trip and lost the generator the morning of the second day (made the rest of the trip staying in RV sites, or on the inverter). Losing the generator turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Better minds than mine (Shane, Rick, Woody, & Randy) helped come to the conclusion that the voltage regulator in the Power Tec had taken a dump. Randy advised working on the gen set from underneath was Brutal. When Randy speaks… it’s best to listen. Since most of the insulation in the generator compartment had deteriated and disappeared, I took Randy’s advice and decided to pull the generator, replace the regulator, clean, re-insulate, and put it all back together. Sounds simple… NOT. Once I opened Pandora’s Box, there was no stopping. I took it all out- guts, feathers, and all! I removed all the wiring from the transfer switch through the control box, and to the generator (some of the wiring needs help). When I crawled into the nasty generator compartment to start cleaning for the new insulation, what I found was the plywood that lined the generator doghouse was badly burned, charred 2/5 of the way through. I then removed the generator slide tray base and the metal doghouse. I don’t know how in the world the smoldering plywood didn’t set the Bird on fire. If the regulator hadn’t gone bad, and I had waited till next year to re-insulate the generator compartment, I think the Wanderlodge would have been history. It’s hard to see much of anything around the generator into the dark generator compartment , BUT, if your generator compartment insulation is in bad shape, It might be time well spent poking around in there. After complete removal, cleaning, and inspection of all the entire contents of the generator compartment, I found the culprit of this failure to be the bushings in the cooling fan motor behind the generator. The bushings went bad, fan quit running, generator compartment over-heated, causing the plywood to burn, and the voltage regulator to overheat and thankfully quit before any serious (fire in the coach) damage occurred.

Gene Mehr 05-02-2011 10:54 PM

Good find

Skidder 05-02-2011 11:17 PM

DANGER - FIRE HARZARD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don & Kitty Bartlett (Post 106699)
The wife and I took the Bird out for a short trip and lost the generator the morning of the second day (made the rest of the trip staying in RV sites, or on the inverter). Losing the generator turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Better minds than mine (Shane, Rick, Woody, & Randy) helped come to the conclusion that the voltage regulator in the Power Tec had taken a dump. Randy advised working on the gen set from underneath was Brutal. When Randy speaks… it’s best to listen. Since most of the insulation in the generator compartment had deteriated and disappeared, I took Randy’s advice and decided to pull the generator, replace the regulator, clean, re-insulate, and put it all back together. Sounds simple… NOT. Once I opened Pandora’s Box, there was no stopping. I took it all out- guts, feathers, and all! I removed all the wiring from the transfer switch through the control box, and to the generator (some of the wiring needs help). When I crawled into the nasty generator compartment to start cleaning for the new insulation, what I found was the plywood that lined the generator doghouse was badly burned, charred 2/5 of the way through. I then removed the generator slide tray base and the metal doghouse. I don’t know how in the world the smoldering plywood didn’t set the Bird on fire. If the regulator hadn’t gone bad, and I had waited till next year to re-insulate the generator compartment, I think the Wanderlodge would have been history. It’s hard to see much of anything around the generator into the dark generator compartment , BUT, if your generator compartment insulation is in bad shape, It might be time well spent poking around in there. After complete removal, cleaning, and inspection of all the entire contents of the generator compartment, I found the culprit of this failure to be the bushings in the cooling fan motor behind the generator. The bushings went bad, fan quit running, generator compartment over-heated, causing the plywood to burn, and the voltage regulator to overheat and thankfully quit before any serious (fire in the coach) damage occurred.

Don:

Wow ! you were sure lucky this voltage regulator quit when it did, thus eliminating any fire. I hope other BB owners read this thread, and it convinces them to check their generator compartment right away. How lucky you were. This looks like the 93 that was on Randy's site?

Good luck with rest of your Bird's repairs in the future.

mynavion 05-03-2011 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don & Kitty Bartlett (Post 106699)
The wife and I took the Bird out for a short trip and lost the generator the morning of the second day (made the rest of the trip staying in RV sites, or on the inverter). Losing the generator turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Better minds than mine (Shane, Rick, Woody, & Randy) helped come to the conclusion that the voltage regulator in the Power Tec had taken a dump. Randy advised working on the gen set from underneath was Brutal. When Randy speaks… it’s best to listen. Since most of the insulation in the generator compartment had deteriated and disappeared, I took Randy’s advice and decided to pull the generator, replace the regulator, clean, re-insulate, and put it all back together. Sounds simple… NOT. Once I opened Pandora’s Box, there was no stopping. I took it all out- guts, feathers, and all! I removed all the wiring from the transfer switch through the control box, and to the generator (some of the wiring needs help). When I crawled into the nasty generator compartment to start cleaning for the new insulation, what I found was the plywood that lined the generator doghouse was badly burned, charred 2/5 of the way through. I then removed the generator slide tray base and the metal doghouse. I don’t know how in the world the smoldering plywood didn’t set the Bird on fire. If the regulator hadn’t gone bad, and I had waited till next year to re-insulate the generator compartment, I think the Wanderlodge would have been history. It’s hard to see much of anything around the generator into the dark generator compartment , BUT, if your generator compartment insulation is in bad shape, It might be time well spent poking around in there. After complete removal, cleaning, and inspection of all the entire contents of the generator compartment, I found the culprit of this failure to be the bushings in the cooling fan motor behind the generator. The bushings went bad, fan quit running, generator compartment over-heated, causing the plywood to burn, and the voltage regulator to overheat and thankfully quit before any serious (fire in the coach) damage occurred.

Wow, great find and just in time. You may already have considered this but I would replace the plywood with "fire rated" plywood. Its expensive but would be a good piece of mind going forward.....

KD Roberts 05-03-2011 07:41 AM

Wow. Glad you were able to catch that before something awful happened! Now that we're getting used to tearing into stuff on our own coach, we'll definitely be looking around our genny compartment this week to see how it looks. We haven't even used our genset yet, but planned on exercising it a little this weekend.

Terry&Michele 05-03-2011 07:55 AM

I've got the '93 that was on Randy's website that looks just like this one. My gen set is different in that the squirrel cage and radiator are in the side compartment under my seat instead of behind the gen. But, I'll be checking my compartment real close before the gen runs again - thanks for the heads up!

Randy Dupree 05-03-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry&Michele (Post 106733)
I've got the '93 that was on Randy's website that looks just like this one. My gen set is different in that the squirrel cage and radiator are in the side compartment under my seat instead of behind the gen. But, I'll be checking my compartment real close before the gen runs again - thanks for the heads up!

Theres also another smaller fan behind the generator,right where Don ssid it was.

Terry&Michele 05-03-2011 08:10 AM

Thanks Randy - haven't crawled that far back yet. Since it's 40 degrees and pouring rain in Roch today, the crawl will be later.

Rick 05-03-2011 08:26 AM

Hey Don, Did you have to wear "old clothes" to do this job?

Mike and I are going to put in service so next time you come up you won't have to stay at the RV Park.

Don & Kitty Bartlett 05-03-2011 05:54 PM

Art. Our coach was on Randy's site..... Only 3 years ago, wa have owned it that long.

Terry. I think all the 91-95 wide body Wanderlodge's have the generator radiator & radiator cooling fan in the side conpartment with a second cooling fan for the generator (see the picture of generator on the back of the tractor) behind the generator. It is the the small 120V squirrel cage just behind the long exhaust pipe that is sticking out the back of the generator.

Rick. YES, old rags. After I got everything power washed, Kitty had to use the power washer on me.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.