Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Least Troublesome Model Year? (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5368)

JackandLiz 02-02-2010 01:11 PM

Least Troublesome Model Year?

Howdy, WOGers.
I don't know if this message belongs in the General category. If not, please move it.

Of the Wanderlodges that have slide outs, which model year is the least troublesome?

TIA,
Liz Pearce

davidmbrady 02-02-2010 02:11 PM

Talk about a loaded question. LOL :) I take it that you're interested in ranking the mtce issues of the slides, not the coaches overall.

I wouldn't dare rank them, but here's some info on each. You can draw your own conclusions.

1) LXi/LX slides are done by HWH, the controls are all relays and descrete components, no computer control. The rams and locking pins are hydraulic and use the same HWH pump and reservoir as your jacks, the slide seal is pneumatic. HWH is still in business.

2) The M380 slides are proprietary BlueBird. They are computer controlled. The electronics run on 12V but are powered by a 120V-to-12V converter; i.e., you need shore power or an inverter turned on to convert 12V to 120V back to 12V. Computer control typically requires resetting if trouble arises. LR slide is air powered, BR slide is electric screw motor driven. Locks are electric in BR and air in LR. May require starting engine to air up sufficiently to get locks/slide to move. The outfit that did the electronic controls is still in business.

3) M450 slides are proprietary BlueBird, systems are 28V, locking pins are air driven, slide rooms are motor driven, computer controlled. Require a 120V-to-28V converter which need 120V shore power or 120V power from an inverter. Converter runs constantly, sucking boondocking power. Slide seals are air.

Randy Dupree 02-02-2010 02:36 PM

David,I don't think the slide seals are air on the 450's.
I may be wrong!

Turbokitty 02-02-2010 02:38 PM

I haven't had the first problem with mine:D

My swing open door leaks air though...

davidmbrady 02-02-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Dupree (Post 45252)
David,I don't think the slide seals are air on the 450's.
I may be wrong!

Randy, you're probably right. Admittedly, I know the least about the 450 systems. Wish there were more 450 owners communicating on this site. I'd like to know more.

Joatha 02-02-2010 02:57 PM

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 1999 slide models require an axle change - done under recall? Something that you may want to be mindful of if you are looking at one of that particular year. 1999 was the first year for slides.

davidmbrady 02-02-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joatha (Post 45259)
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 1999 slide models require an axle change - done under recall?

Now we're getting into coach issues vs slide issues. Not quite sure what the original question was directed at. There were recalls to LXi axles over the years. Any buyer would be wise to weigh the coach empty ('cept fuel and water) and record the Spicer tag axle model number on the steer axle, which specs the weight capacity of the axle, to be certain the coach isn't overweight.

Gray Eagle 02-02-2010 07:21 PM

Jack and Liz,
Although the first slide models may have hit the market in 1999, the first model year for a Blue Bird with slides was the 2000. It is an HWH system and we have encountered very few problems with ours other than the system seems to tilt on the slide side after it has been out for a day or two. We took the coach to an HWH certified dealer back in September and they were unable to diagnose the problem. I have since learned that HWH problems are best handled at one of their master certified dealerships. Unfortunately, other issues with the coach have precluded us getting it to one of those dealers since that time. I've spoken with George at Bleakley in Unadilla and he indicated that he thought it was a solenoid. If I ever get the coach back on the road I will find out if that was the problem. Other than that, our system has performed flawlessly although we did have it serviced and checked regularly at the factory until it closed.

JackandLiz 02-03-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Eagle (Post 45278)
Jack and Liz,
Although the first slide models may have hit the market in 1999, the first model year for a Blue Bird with slides was the 2000. It is an HWH system and we have encountered very few problems with ours other than the system seems to tilt on the slide side after it has been out for a day or two. We took the coach to an HWH certified dealer back in September and they were unable to diagnose the problem. I have since learned that HWH problems are best handled at one of their master certified dealerships. Unfortunately, other issues with the coach have precluded us getting it to one of those dealers since that time. I've spoken with George at Bleakley in Unadilla and he indicated that he thought it was a solenoid. If I ever get the coach back on the road I will find out if that was the problem. Other than that, our system has performed flawlessly although we did have it serviced and checked regularly at the factory until it closed.

Thank you for your reply. I don't understand what you meant by the following:
the system seems to tilt on the slide side after it has been out for a day or two.

Does the slide actually sag?

TIA,
Liz

JackandLiz 02-03-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmbrady (Post 45246)
Talk about a loaded question. LOL :) I take it that you're interested in ranking the mtce issues of the slides, not the coaches overall........................................... ........

Howdy, David.
Thank you for your most informative reply. What did you mean by "mtce issues"?

Regards,
Liz

giderich 02-03-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackandLiz (Post 45357)
Howdy, David.
Thank you for your most informative reply. What did you mean by "mtce issues"?

Regards,
Liz

mtce = maintenance?

Gray Eagle 02-04-2010 07:34 PM

Jack and Liz,
When I said that we had a tilt I should have been more specific in saying that the chassis appears to tilt to the left as you look at it. We thought at first that there might be a leak in the HWH system and we were losing fluid. After having checked the fluid we speculated that there might be an air leak somewhere but that proved wrong as well. When I discussed the issue with George and Jack at Bleakley they seemed to think that it might be a solenoid. I hope to be able to get the coach there in the next week or two to test that theory. Other than that we have had no issues with the HWH system, although the factory replaced the pump some time ago because it was noisy and they were not sure how long it would last.

al perna 02-04-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackandLiz (Post 45243)
Howdy, WOGers.
I don't know if this message belongs in the General category. If not, please move it.

Of the Wanderlodges that have slide outs, which model year is the least troublesome?

TIA,
Liz Pearce

Liz , I also ask myself that ? Is there more reliability with a none slide over a slide ? Well there is one less possible problem to worry about ! Then If I do go spend 30 to 50 k more for a slide ,which one is more reliable ? over and over the answere is HWH slide ,and a BB owned by a forum member.
that is were we should find less grief. I am going to sit out the winter thinking how I wish I had a slide . I hope come spring I will forget all about the slide and have a extra 50k$$
Hello from Al here at MM264 I65 Flying J Alabama GO TIDE!!!

Gray Eagle 02-05-2010 07:15 PM

Al & Erica,
I think the one slide models will only run you an extra $25K in this economy. Given the relative lack of problems we have had with the one slide model I would say it is worth it. Send me a PM if you want to discuss what I have learned from several dealers we talked to at the RV show in Tampa recently.

davidmbrady 02-05-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Eagle (Post 45655)
Al & Erica,
I think the one slide models will only run you an extra $25K in this economy.

If not now, then next week!

JackandLiz 02-06-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Eagle (Post 45655)
Al & Erica,
I think the one slide models will only run you an extra $25K in this economy. Given the relative lack of problems we have had with the one slide model I would say it is worth it. Send me a PM if you want to discuss what I have learned from several dealers we talked to at the RV show in Tampa recently.

Please share this information with this Forum. You don't have to mention the dealer's names.

TIA,
Liz

JackandLiz 02-06-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al perna (Post 45548)
Liz , I also ask myself that ? Is there more reliability with a none slide over a slide ? Well there is one less possible problem to worry about ! Then If I do go spend 30 to 50 k more for a slide ,which one is more reliable ? over and over the answere is HWH slide ,and a BB owned by a forum member.
that is were we should find less grief. I am going to sit out the winter thinking how I wish I had a slide . I hope come spring I will forget all about the slide and have a extra 50k$$
Hello from Al here at MM264 I65 Flying J Alabama GO TIDE!!!

Howdy, Al.
How did your coach do for you in that snow in Nashville? RE: slide - I concluded that there is serious storage loss with a Bird with a slide. Storage is crucial to us as fulltimers. Also the loss of overhead cabinets in the coach is a factor, also. So-o-o, we will just keep our Bird forever!!

Regards,
Liz

al perna 02-06-2010 01:35 PM

:)And A Howdy to you Liz.
Well I must say , with only one snow plow they did take some time to clean things up.
as to the storage loss on a slide, after the cabin fever of this winter Id just have to do with less for the trade off. Im just glad Im not back in Phila. I think the bus would nt be moving for a while. How about you guys weres home these days:)

JackandLiz 02-06-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al perna (Post 45738)
Well I must say , with only one snow plow they did take some time to clean things up.
as to the storage loss on a slide, after the cabin fever of this winter Id just have to do with less for the trade off. Im just glad Im not back in Phila. I think the bus would nt be moving for a while. How about you guys weres home these days:)

Well, home is where we park it!! ;) Right now we are parked at the Lone Star Corral, an Escapees cooperative park, located in Dhanis, TX. We are about 48-50 miles west of San Antonio. http://www.lonestarcorral.com

We have sunshine and about 70 degrees at 3:40 P.M. This A.M. it was 39 degrees at 5:30.

Liz

Bumpersbird 02-07-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al perna (Post 45738)
:)

WE GOT A SNOW PLOW???!!!

al perna 02-07-2010 01:04 AM

[QUOTE=Bumpersbird;45815]WE GOT A SNOW PLOW???!!!

:D:D:D I Knew it was Coming:cool::cool:

Paul 02-07-2010 04:27 PM

Just for the gloaters.....

Have been without power the past 24 hrs (now back) and awoke to 45 degrees in the house. We had between 2-3 FEET ending early yesterday evening. Still not plowed on my street, but the jeep doesn't much care. Got highsided a couple of times, but a shovel fixed all that. The best part, they are calling for 5+ more tues-wed.

DC is a fun place with 2" of snow, imagine how much fun this is :)

Before you ask, Ziggy is wintering in Fl and having a wonderful time, I am told.

Randy Dupree 02-07-2010 07:23 PM

damnit Paul,you have too many friends to be staying in a cold house!!!!!!