Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Under The Awning (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Warm winter places (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35518)

79Ranger 12-26-2019 05:19 PM

Warm winter places
 
The OL and myself have been toying with the idea of buying a place in the USA for our winter months. It would be a place that we lived in for 5 to 6 months.



I'd prefer a place away from oceans and humidity.



Ruralish would be ideal, not a big city.


Figured some of you guys would have some ideas.



Thanks


Edit....looking for a house.

BrianS 12-26-2019 05:41 PM

Texas hill country. Outside of Austin.

79Ranger 12-26-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS (Post 473189)
Texas hill country. Outside of Austin.


Interesting, a buddy in Austin suggested the same place, thank you.

al perna 12-26-2019 06:15 PM

ORI , it is in Indio Ca . You buy a lot and enjoy sunshine and just a short ride to the Mountains .

79Ranger 12-26-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al perna (Post 473192)
ORI , it is in Indio Ca . You buy a lot and enjoy sunshine and just a short ride to the Mountains .


That looks nice but I should have been more clear....I want a house, Bird will probably be used to drive there with and then parked.


And thanks!

Harold,Cat&Sam 12-26-2019 07:46 PM

Arkansas Ozarks :)

NoGas 12-26-2019 10:20 PM

Wants to be a Sunbird, but where?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 79Ranger (Post 473193)
That looks nice but I should have been more clear....I want a house, Bird will probably be used to drive there with and then parked. And thanks!

Search Google with “RV garage homes Arizona” (or other state you might be interested in). Lots of options. Further away from big cities = less $$ to build and operate. You’ve likely seen the Birdhouse we had built 3 years ago. LOVE that 65’ air conditioned garage! :D Our plan to be Sunbirds this first “unemployed” :) year has worked out perfect. Might’ve chosen something in TX & a bit further out, had it not been for the MIL. However, the flip side of being on the outskirts of a big metro area is it helps with higher appreciation and when the time comes, better than average resale potential. AZ, FL and south TX/gulf coast are all nice for 3 seasons a year. Then a BB can almost certainly find cooler temps in the Summers. Have heard good things about AR, and SoCal would be nice if it weren’t for the taxes & politics. It all depends on where you want to spend 4-6 months a year :cool:.

If a bird house with a garage is not needed or desired, Escapee parks are nice alternatives too.

79Ranger 12-26-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold,Cat&Sam (Post 473196)
Arkansas Ozarks :)


Will look, thank you.


Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGas (Post 473207)
Search Google with “RV garage homes Arizona” (or other state you might be interested in). Lots of options. Further away from big cities = less $$ to build and operate. You’ve likely seen the Birdhouse we had built 3 years ago. LOVE that 65’ air conditioned garage! :D Our plan to be Sunbirds this first “unemployed” :) year has worked out perfect. Might’ve chosen something in TX & a bit further out, had it not been for the MIL. However, the flip side of being on the outskirts of a big metro area is it helps with higher appreciation and when the time comes, better than average resale potential. AZ, FL and south TX/gulf coast are all nice for 3 seasons a year. Then a BB can almost certainly find cooler temps in the Summers. Have heard good things about AR, and SoCal would be nice if it weren’t for the taxes & politics. It all depends on where you want to spend 4-6 months a year :cool:.

If a bird house with a garage is not needed or desired, Escapee parks are nice alternatives too.




Thing is Van is we don't want to stay in the Bird, the only reason for driving it is that we have several cats that would be coming with us and a passenger vehicle would suck hehehe...would make some entertaining video though!


Would tow the pickup with the quad in the box :D



The boss likes Arizona as she goes there somewhat frequently.


I have never travelled much as I really don't like it so I've not got a lot to go on as far as locations.



Ideally would like firearm friendly as well.


Will check those links out, thanks!

79Ranger 12-26-2019 10:44 PM

Beautiful place you built Van!

Frank W. 12-27-2019 06:13 AM

We have a Canadian friend that lives near Toronto. She retired and started "heading South" for winters about 5 years ago. Although she has the means to buy property...she elected to go the RV route. She stays one winter or two on a seasonal site in an RV resort area and then as the desire hits her moves on someplace new the next year.

As already stated in this thread...so many options exist for the Southern US that to tie yourself to one site seems limiting. As long as you have & use an RV...keep your mobile options open. Once your not as mobile...find a place...but do so from the knowledge base of having visited a lot of places.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.