View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008

Very good info Michael. I need to check out the wiring setup on the inverter circuits on my next free day off.

I do know for sure that the inverter powers every circuit and every breaker on the main panel, to include the air con units, the Cummins engine pre-heater, and the seperate xantrex charger/converter.

It does not have auto gen start. I leave the breaker for the engine pre-heat turned off all the time anyway, but I don't like that the 2 air cons are on the inverter circuit. Also with the charger/converter being on the inverter fed circuits - that is a vicious cycle. Inverter uses batteries to feed charger charging batteries - lose/lose there.

Also, I have a inverter on/off switch at my left side of the drivers seat. This is where I currently turn the heart inverter on and off. I do not know if I can use this same setup on a Magnum or xantrex inverter - but would like to.

One reason I am leaning xantrex on the inverter is that my xantrex charger/converter already has the battery temp probe, and a remote monitoring panel in the bedroom. For sure I could just unplug the battery temp probe from the converter and plug it into the inverter. I think the cable is the same for the remote monitor panel as well--if so I could remove the converter remote monitor panel and put the inverter control remote panel in it's place using the existing cable run (saving time and energy on new cable runs).

I also failed to mention that our 2008 year model splendide washer dryer mid coach opposite side of computers (replaced a old unvented with a new vented splendide this yr) does not like the modified sine wave. I don't use the splendide on inverter and never will, but even when "off" it's circuit boards "see" the inverter and it cycles. I unplug it now when I turn the inverter on.

Thanks for any further input based on this new info - you've been there done that.
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrund View Post
I replaced my old 2000 watt Heart unit with a Xantrex RS3000, it was a chore to say the least on a Wanderlodge. The Wanderlodge (not sure about the BMC) has a strange setup for the inverter. The Heart inverter has a built in circuit breaker in the inverter, the RS models DO NOT, and thus require that you plumb in a new circuit breaker as Bluebird puts the invertered circuits in after the circuit breaker panel through a set of high voltage relays. There fore those circuits are not protected for over amperage, and if you put in an inverter in that can supply more than 15 AMPS AC you could burn down the coach with out adding proper protection.

These relays are held engaged when you are on shore power, but when shore power fails, the relays disengage and allow the inverter supplied AC to flow to those circuits. Can't remember, but it is either 4 or 6 of the circuits in the coach are on these special relays, all the rest of the circuits are not (such as Air Cond, etc.). So check out how the BMC is wired, and if similar to the Wanderlodge, be careful and make sure you protect the circuits such that you can't overload them.

I replumbed my whole AC panel and circuits, and put a new 50AMP breaker in ahead of the new RS3000 since it has a transfer switch built in. I then plumbed the output circuit from the inverter back to the original coach main breaker. So everything in the coach is on the inverter. I would suggest you not do this unless you are willing to put larger DC cables in to support the full load of the inverter and also put a generator auto-start panel in to kick the generator on when the AC fails and the draw on the inverter is large enough that the generator is needed. Otherwise you may pop the fuse on the DC input to the inverter (I have done this once, quite by accident flipped on the air compressor forgetting I was on inverter, it was a 200 AMP DC fuse, should have been a 300 AMP to support 3000 watts AC. I plan to replace the fuse with a pair of paralleled 150 AMP DC circuit breakers so I don't get stranded without a fuse).

Since you have a 2800 watt unit, sounds like the BMC is plumbed different. Make sure to determine how the inverter is plumbed into the AC circuits (before or after the main AC breaker panel). If after, you need to protect the output of the inverter with an AC circuit breaker. Also keep in mind in such a case, that this circuit breaker should not be larger than the smallest circuit on the inverted output can sustain without overloading the AC wire gauge (so if it is 14/2 romex, 15AMPS, etc.).

One last note: The RS models have the ability to dial back the AC input power so the charger does not consume lots of AC AMPS. So if you are on a 30 AMP circuit, you can dial it back to 30 AMPS and the charger will only use what power is left on the AC input after all the other coach circuits. So that way if you want keep the battery charger from eating lots of AC power at a friends place, you can set it from the control panel.

Last edited by AC7880; 12-23-2008 at 09:52 AM.