View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015
DonB's Avatar
DonB DonB is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Eureka
Posts: 4,371

It's been a couple of years since I tackled the leaks on my bus, but I was able to change the aux leakdown from about 1/2 hour to more than 24 hours (still have 50 psi at 24 hours). Hopefully I can remember all that I did. While I found some things with bubble leak detector my primary tools were mechanical in nature. I made up a bunch of assemblies consisting of ball valves and push connectors, and installed them in all of the lines, plus putting a gauge directly on one of the tank fittings. First thing I found was that with ALL lines closed off, the tank leaked like a sieve! This tank has, I think, 6 large nipples, and every one of them leaked. Required pulling the tank so that I could break the nipples out, goop them up, and reattach. There were other push fittings that were failing, with the worst being on one of the valves for the door step slide cover. I replaced all of the fittings, mostly with stainless-steel ones that Thomas Rembert supplied. Final thing I did was to add a mechanical air dual-needle gauge to the dash (surplus front/rear brake gauge I got from Randy) that is hooked up with one needle to the aux tank, and one to the coach side.

I wired in an outlet for the AC supply to the pump, and put a digital timer on it. The pump is plugged into the timer, and set to run for 10 minutes daily. It shuts off before the 10 minutes are up, so there is no head pressure problem. The timer has a battery internal that maintains its time during the period when no power is available at the socket (turned off by the pressure switch).
Don Bradner
Current: No RV at this time
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location:
Reply With Quote