View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Reed told me the block was different,and they had to machine the engine mounts to make it fit. Just what all that means,i have no idea. But,i bet the new engines serial number can be checked by Cummins to see which engine it is.
Looking at the receipt for the engine change two years ago, it appears Cummins DID NOT install a new engine but instead completely rebuilt the PO's ruined engine using a slew of NEW parts including: Lube pump, oil cooler, various soft plugs, nuts and bolts, a new short block, head, cam, idler, flywheel, gaskets, belts, pulleys and tons of other stuff. The total for that work was over $23K, that since it was TWO months out-of-warranty the PO paid out-of-pocket. That was roughly 20K miles ago. Why Cummins went this route instead of dropping a completely new engine in, I do not know but suspect it was money since they dropped the egg in the owners lap?

I do know that the entire coach including the motor performed flawlessly yesterday during our first long day of travel from Salt Lake to Las Vegas. The PO said this motor has allot more power than the original and I believe it. Found use of engine brake to be unnecessary even going down the long grade south of Cedar City. So am inclined to follow Jim's advice about its use when possible. The coach not only looks new but it drives like it too! Here's the first picture of it under new ownership, stopped in a parking lot south of Provo for a 5-Guys burger:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	29162  

Last edited by NoGas; 05-30-2014 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Spelling