Thread: Wheels away
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018

Default Wheels away

This happened to a Canadian friend on Easter. He has a 1962 PD4106 GM bus like mine. He had recently done a full brake job, new shoes, drums, studs and thimbles. These are stud piloted 10 hole Budd wheels. The new studs were pressed into the hubs, not drawn in with a nut. They were tightened with a known good torque wrench. He is going to do some forensics to determine what happened. I'm thinking overtorqued or defective studs or both. A good idea is to specify Euclid or another good brand of studs and nuts when replacing them.

We had a bit of an “oops” today. We had the right rear duals pass us on the highway today. First off, we are fine, the bus hasn’t suffered irreparable damage, we are safe , no one was hurt, and other than the Jeep no other damage. We’re not looking to find fault, just putting the information out there so everyone can learn along with us.
We are in good hands , the towing company is very knowledgeable and respectful of old busses. They have already arranged to have a shop bring the bus indoors.

+8

LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare

Chronological

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther