View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Donn,

My 'Bird didn't come with a tool box and the compartments while deep enough were limited in height, so here is my solution;

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman
Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications > Toolbox slide...

I finally got my new tool box and the pair of slides that I purchased from McMaster-Carr installed today, here is a photo of the installation.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/101431061

The slides that I used are not as long in the fully extended position, so this only allows the lid to open up about 90% of the way, so I will make a simple support to hold it open as far as it will go, to access the tools under it, thanks again for the idea, this will be a great addition to my 'Bird.

Here are the parts that I used;

Tool Box purchased at Lowe's Home Improvement, included a lower tool chest that I'm using in my shop, the pair were $99.95

A pair of Accuride Full-Extension drawer Slides W/O release 20" L, 20" L travel, 244 lb/Pr Load Rating, part #1277A83 purchased from McMaster-Carr $54.46 Plus tax and shipping. www.mcmaster.com

2"X2" Angle Iron I had here in the shop along with nuts, bolts and washers

I was a little worried that all of the tools that I had in my portable tool bag would fit in the new box, but everything fit and it isn't any strain on the box slides either.

http://www.pbase.com/image/101516536

I used a cut down old plastic rod off of a broken window blind to hold the lid up and I used pieces of Indoor/Outdoor carpet cut to fit, as liners on the bottoms of the trays, so that the tools shouldn't move around too much......................MAYBE

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11