View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008

I think there is a bit of confusion here. The power (amps) available is determined by the outlet you are plugged into. If you plug into one 50a. 240v. outlet you have 50 amps going into the coach. In our SP that 50/240 is split with half (I assume) going to or available to each 120v. leg. This means I have about 25 amps available on each leg and the legs are breakered accordingly.

In our SP the various outlets, heaters etc. are divided onto the two legs so we don't have one leg blowing breakers while the other is not drawing any current.

Last spring I had some work done on the generator and was told I needed breakers on hte two legs to avoid damage to the generator. They installed two 30a breakers and the first moring we were out the breaker popped when I turned on the bathroom heater with the other electric heaters on. This was a first. When I told the guys at the shop that I needed higher capacity breakers they would not install them (liability) and insisted the generator could only handle 30a per leg.

Sine the generator had been handling more than 30a per leg for 17 years and over 3,000 hours of use I figured ther was a reason BB put meters in that had green up to 40a. and had the 30a breakers removed.

We have a four pin 240/50a cord wired into the coach. There is also a 3 pin with side neutral or ground outlet (inlet?) for which I have not been able to find pulgs or a cord so one of these days I will change it to a standard four pin configuration so I don't have to use the hard wired cord all the time.

I am not sure what would happen if I plugged both thr hard wired cord and the outlet cord into 50a outlets at the same time. I might have 100 amps but it might raise some safety issues.