View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019

Default Okefenokee Swamp, really!

We just spent the past two nights at Stephen Foster SP, GA (not to be confused with the identically named SP in FL). My Yankee bride was a little apprehensive since it’s a 17 mile one-way road into the middle of the National Wildlife refuge once you leave the hwy in the booming metropolis of Fargo, Ga.
She loved it and so did I after a 45 year absence. I grew up on the FL/GA line (yes, now a country duo) and fished here from age 6 until about the time I joined the service. It’s remote. And dark. It’s actually certified as a dark sky area and popular with astronomers. Shortly after dark the first night I saw the ISS pass directly overhead, confirmed on the NASA tracking website. I’ve only seen stars like this out west or far offshore.
The swamp is pristine and probably unchanged for thousands of years. Wildlife galore. Tracy suggested we rent a Jon boat vs the rangers’ boat tour. I impressed her with my redneck captain skills while navigating impossibly narrow channels at full speed rubbing cypress trees at every turn like Earnhardt on a short track.

I digress. It really is a wonderful park and an exceptional opportunity to see or photograph nature in its purest environment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4895D66-3A3D-448D-ADBE-224744C85D45.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	65292  

Bill & Tracy Lott
87 FC35 "Traveller"
Shalimar, Florida