View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Since I think FJ is now up to 9 cents differential between cash and credit I suspect I will be at the RV pumps for a long time in the future!

On the subject of speed/mileage, I did some eperimenting today.

I crossed the Bonneville salt flats under ideal conditions this morning, with not even a slight breeze when we stopped at the rest stop on the west end. I don't know of anywhere else that you can get so many miles of level straight run without any elevation change.

I ran two miles each with the cruise control at 60, 65, and 70. The GPH for those three were 10, 12.2, and 14.8. That works out:

60=6MPG
65=5.3MPG
70=4.7MPG

A/C was on, so cooling fan was on high.

I did not test 55 because on cruise my rig will downshift to 4th at about 58, and it wouldn't be a good test. Didn't test 75 (the limit) because I rarely drive that fast.

BTW, this is "speed week" at Bonneville, so there were a lot of interesting vehicles coming and going.
Don,

That difference in mileage, especially between 60 and 70 mph is significant especially over the long haul, I usually try set my cruise at 62-63 mph, it likes to run well at that speed, although I have never done a scientific analysis of the actual mileage, so all I have estimates for a few fill ups and that was not using the same pump to fill both times. Diesel fuel pumps are hard to get an accurate fill from, due to the foaming of the fuel, but it good to know approximately what I'm getting and how just backing out of the throttle will save me $$$ that is unless you are Mr. Moneybags like Paul L he kept on wanting to push me on a short trip from Maxton to Charlotte a few years ago.

Usually when you stop at that rest area just east of Wendover during Speedweek, if you look off to the north, you can see the cars over on the Bonneville Salt Flats Speedweek courses, although they will be very small in the distance. Some of those same cars and motorcycles will be competing at the Fall Maxton Blue Bird Mini-Rally in Oct. the weekend before the 2008 Bluebird Owners Rally Across The Street, OCTOBER 30 TO NOVEMBER 2, 2008

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11