View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010

Default TV Upgrade - Front

Here are some initial pictures of the upgrade of the front TV. I replaced the tube TV with a 32" Samsung LED HDTV. It fits absolutely perfectly between the cabinet doors. It is so thin that it looks built in. I have it mounted to a swing arm. The TV can be swung forward and to the side allowing access to the components in the cavernous space that the old TV occupied. In that space is two DirectTV DVR's, a mini desktop PC with external hard drive and there is room for more such as Apple TV or whatever. It is nice using the TV as a computer screen with a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I will have my solar system software running on the PC and I can see a graphical view of my solar system and electrical system status.

I had to slightly and easily modify the original wood cabinetry in the hole. I made it so the shelf in the hole was level as opposed to the incline that it previously had to angle the old TV downward. I still have to shim the swing arm ever so slightly to compensate for the minute droop of the TV due to gravity. I also want to install a black metal mesh screen along the very top to allow heat to escape from the component area. Previously I had run multiple HDMI, ethernet, component cables throughout the coach in preparation for the install. The TV and other components can connect to the internet for various reasons. I can view the DVR's on either the front or rear TV as well as the Blueray DVD player (in the rear) on either TV.

I will post a separate thread about the rear TV upgrade. We have a 46" Samsung LED HDTV back there with an awesome 5.1 surround sound system. Our bedroom is our movie screening room complete with the original powered curtains that close like in the old theaters.. I will soon be looking for a good carpenter to design and build the cabinetry in the rear TV hole that now holds the surround sound system components as well as Playstation and Apple TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03716.JPG
Views:	783
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	6888   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03720.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	627.7 KB
ID:	6889  
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad