View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019

Default Perkins Injection Pump Leak

So, I solved one problem and created another.

I had some problems with fuel delivery and installed a Facet pump to help the main engine injection pump. In the process of warming the bus up and checking everything over, I noticed a somewhat significant puddle forming under the genset. Upon further investigation I found that injection pump on the Perkins to be leaking. apparently the positive fuel pressure has made a previous problem much more obvious.

I haven't found much here on this issue, but it appears to be fairly common with these pumps. Anyone experienced this? Can I rebuild the top of the injection pump with it still on the engine? It is two seals on the throttle rod, two on the kill rod (to shut the fuel off so it will quit running), and one on the housing. Has anyone had success replacing these seals without removing the heat exchanger directly above it? If replaced will they seal up well enough to not leak with the positive fuel pressure?

Note - the generator is not running. The leak is from the facet pump providing pressure to the injection pump on the generator.

Any help is appreciated. I have attached a couple pictures for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAV Injection pump.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	64818   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAV injection pump leak picture_LI.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	64819