View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Rob has a Powertech, John a Perkins, Our 88 FC has an Onan,
Probably not the same....

But, I wired the SP just ahead of the main AC power load distribution center, all voltage and current passes thru the SP.
50 amp, 30 amp, 15/20 amp and the generator power output.
All works great.

I side benefit of the SP is the ability to read accurately the Volts , Amps and very important, the Frequency when using the Generator. The SP remote readout is far more accurate that the BB overhead Volt/Amp meters.

Our 8.0K Onan starts to groan at about 80% load and the freq is the first to deteriorate, It is easy to load in 80% with a few electric heaters, hot water tank and a block heater, then kick on the microwave, to warm up a cup of coffee,
Rob and John, try running the gennie until is a bit warmed up and running smooth, then connect in the gennerator with a small load of several watts.
Bill,

Mine will do that after it gets warmed up, for instance when I have all three air conditioners running and one of them cycles, it will for a fraction of a second drop below the SP limit and shut off power for everything that was running. I really doubt that it is overloading the 15K generator in my 'Bird. Budweiser installed the 15K generator package, just before they sold the 'Bird.

When I had the Perkins injector pump rebuilt, the Perkins dealer set the cycles whit the engine warmed up and as much of a load as I could put on it, they let it run, for quite a while, but at the time the airconditioner would not cycle, so we didn't know that there was a voltage drop issue, that showed up for the first time when it was 110 degrees out side in North Dakota last summer and I couldn't find a place to stop and turn off the SP, so I just don't use it on the generator.

We didn't have any room to install it the way you did.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11